Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2010, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think I like Spyker spreaders!

For all the hype about how great the Spyker spreader is, it sure has it's problems! I have always had "issues" with the Spyker on my ZSpray & my 288. Seems like if you use anything other than 230sgn clean fert, the spread is hard or impossible to get even. I recently started using Agrium's XCU fert which is much smaller than most (around 200sgn) The spreader won't spread even no matter what! The product is so light that is wants to dump off the left side & the moving the "Accuway" adjuster can't seem to get it right. I like the fert, but it always seems like I am stuck using the few products that the Spyker likes, or I risk striping lawns. I hate this stupid spreader & even called Spyker after getting no answers from ZSpray & the guy never called me back & the next time I called, the girl on the phone didn't seem to care & was no help. I am very dissapointed in Spyker as a company

Using the Accuway adjuster is always tricky anyway, because fert residue builds up quick on it when the humidity is high & gums it all up & moves the pattern off even more

Anyone else have issues using smaller prilled fert. with the ZSpray or something else that uses the Spyker spreader?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have that issue with the three hole Lesco. I haven't had any problems w/ my 288, except for the open/close mechanism which is a poor design.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It dumps off the left side. Does the impeller spin counterclockwise? You might try putting duct tape or bits of plastic over the front or back of the opening. This shifts the drop area closer or further from the impeller center. A curved piece of plastic attached to a screw so that you can rotate it to open or close the fert opening, is what I would suggest. You have to open up the setting to compensate for any flow that is blocked.

Of course, you can wax the Accuway adjuster--or--cover it with teflon tape. No guarantee in humid weather. Also try silicone spray lubrication.

Of course you can change impellers--or--add taller fins, more fins ect--but here you are in uncharted territory.