Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2010, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Timecutter 42

Just bought a Timecutter 42 w/ the Kawi 22 & it's leaving a trail of cut grass right behind the discharge side of the deck, right in the middle of the blade area on that side. Any ideas?

Do they make a high lift blade for this mower? It sounds like the blades that came on it are pretty high lift already & will suck up the mulch real quick when mowing around beds!

Thanks In Advance, Clark
Old 06-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Sponsor

Clark Griswold -

Thank you for choosing a Toro TimeCutter! I apologize for the trail of cut grass. It is difficult to say what might be causing this without more information. Can you tell us how tall your grass was when you were cutting it and whether it was wet with dew, normal, or very dry? Also, were you mulching or side-discharging? About how fast were you cutting? Quarter speed, half speed, three-quarter speed, or full speed? What type of grass do you have? Do you water and fertilize regularly? I apologize for the 20 questions but all of these things affect cutting conditions. I want to make sure we diagnose the problem correctly the first time.

-The Toro Company
Old 07-10-2010, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks and I fixed it, it was the deck being off front to back by about an inch.

Clark
Old 08-13-2010, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Clark,
Ive been having this problem since I bought my Timecutter over a year ago. I, along with my dealer, have tried just about everything we could think of. Toro told me everything was where it was supposed to be and that my yard just too plush and more like golf course turf. Dont ask Toro about different blades. They will tell you that there isnt any other kind. Sorry..I'm frustrated. I spend more time blowing off clumps of grass after I cut than I do actually cutting.
It may sound like a stupid question. But, could you tell me exactly how you fixed it? Im grasping for any possible solution. Thanks
Old 08-13-2010, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder if sharpening your blades as sharp as possible would help?? Maybe a higher lift blade as well....
Old 08-14-2010, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croat View Post
Clark,
Ive been having this problem since I bought my Timecutter over a year ago. I, along with my dealer, have tried just about everything we could think of. Toro told me everything was where it was supposed to be and that my yard just too plush and more like golf course turf. Dont ask Toro about different blades. They will tell you that there isnt any other kind. Sorry..I'm frustrated. I spend more time blowing off clumps of grass after I cut than I do actually cutting.
It may sound like a stupid question. But, could you tell me exactly how you fixed it? Im grasping for any possible solution. Thanks
Croat, I've tried everything too and if you raise the front of the deck it gets a little better but doesn't solve the problem altogether. It's really on lush thick lawns where it gets the worst!

I've actually raised the front of the deck till it couldn't go anymore and it's still there but not as bad.

I just can't believe Toro made such a deck that cuts like this, didn't they do any testing before putting it into production?

It said in the manual to raise the deck, OK I'm already cutting one particular lawn at 4 inches and cutting off about 3 inches of grass, what next?

If you look under the deck there is an area of the deck that is hollowed out where one of the baffles is, I think that is where the problem lies, air is being trapped under that hollowed out area, because that is where the trail of grass is on the lawn, right under that area of the deck.

I wonder if welding a plate of metal over that hollowed out area would help?

I really love this mower except for that one thing!

Toro Company, Have others complained about the same thing with this particular mower?

Clark

Last edited by Clark Griswold; 08-14-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Sponsor

Hello All,

I'll add two quick points.

1. Be sure when sharpening the lawn mower blades that you grind back the pointed TIP or cutting tooth of blade, if the blade has a radius or curve at the end the blade is shorter than intended by the mower mfg. Proper sharpening of a lawn mower blade is to have a pointed tip at the end, like a new blade. (If you've tested with new blades this of course is not your problem.)

2. For very nice even discharge of grass clippings we've done some testing with the Terminator Lawn Mower Blades from Components Plus see their site. These blades are similar to gator blades, but their lift is notched in a slanted direction that provides a nicer even spray of grass clippings.
http://www.tracksplus.com

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
800-328-1110 (toll free USA & Canda)
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic-direct.com
www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp
Old 08-26-2010, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't look like Toro has an answer or monitoring this site at all, maybe I'll just call them instead!

Trust me Magna it's not the sharpness of the blades, it still does it even with brand new blades installed!

HELLO TORO COMPANY, YOU THERE?
Old 08-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Sponsor

Clark - We need to know if you are side discharging or if you are recycling/mulching with your Toro TimeCutter.

-The Toro Company
Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The problem is this: You are trying to use a machine designed for homeowner use in a situation that requires a higher quality mower. You need a mower with a commercial type deck, not a cheap homeowner deck. Simple as that. You just simply bought the wrong machine for your mowing conditions. you bought a cheaply designed and built "Home Depot special", when you should have spent the money to buy a well designed, well built, Toro commercial unit.