Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-27-2010, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Direct mail campaign with post cards

My cards meet the minimum / maximum size. They fall somewhere in between. Anything else to consider?

I'm applying stamps myself. I'm not sure this qualifies as presorted or bulk mail.

I just hoping something doesn't come up. I already had to redesign my cards because of the size.

I'm using address labels to make things go a little quicker. A lot faster than writing the addresses by hand. I hope that doesn't turn into a problem with the placement of the label.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

you might find that a service will mail them much cheaper than u can mail them your self
Old 07-13-2010, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Keep us updated with how this works out Captain! Ive been considering doing this myself
Old 07-17-2010, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I still use postcards for direct mail. And I get accounts off of them. Not the most bang for the buck compared to other ways we market but it is quick and easy. I used to have a bulk mail permit for another business, and here's the skinny as I remember it when using a bulk mail rate. Sounds like you are leaning towards this route. Here are a few things you might want to consider... if you already know all this, my apologies.

First of all you have to apply for and get a BRM "business reply mailer" permit to use and get bulk mail rates.

Second, the reason you will get a slightly (and I mean very slightly) better rate is that you are going to be doing a lot of work that the postoffice normally would have done.
Unless you are mailing out thousands of cards to pretty much the same zip code you will not get the best "bulk rate" price.

It used to be a minimum of 250 pieces of the same mail sent to the same zip code. All postcards had to be sorted by zip, stacked the same direction, labled with the appropriate sticker that the post office provides and then be placed in a special tray. And then I had to take these downtown to my closest Bulk Sort facility (not all post offices are bulk sort facilities). This was a 40 minute drive one-way. I had 3 postoffices within a 5 mile radious of my home but none accepted bulk mail.

Thirdly, your bulk permit must be printed on each postcard per the postoffice guidelines - or another option was to rent a postage meter (not cheap) and have a slug designed with your permit on it and then run each peice through the machine.

Fourth, you have to make a deposit into your bulk rate account. This is where the cost of your bulk rate postage will be withdrawn.
14x7 landscaping trailer
12x6 P&T hydro dump trailer w/leaf box
We run Gravely ZTRs, Honda 21"s, Kawasaki trimmers, Redmax Backpacks, LittleWonder loader
Old 07-17-2010, 03:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This time of year I would save that money and flyer. Thats a spring time type advertising. If ya wanna try something appealing try the small snack baggies with a small pack of M&M's in them.

RedMax Trimmer
RedMax Hedge Trimmers
5x8 tilt trailer
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missis...e/151402474671
Old 07-20-2010, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemco View Post
I still use postcards for direct mail. And I get accounts off of them. Not the most bang for the buck compared to other ways we market but it is quick and easy. I used to have a bulk mail permit for another business, and here's the skinny as I remember it when using a bulk mail rate. Sounds like you are leaning towards this route. Here are a few things you might want to consider... if you already know all this, my apologies.

First of all you have to apply for and get a BRM "business reply mailer" permit to use and get bulk mail rates.

Second, the reason you will get a slightly (and I mean very slightly) better rate is that you are going to be doing a lot of work that the postoffice normally would have done.
Unless you are mailing out thousands of cards to pretty much the same zip code you will not get the best "bulk rate" price.

It used to be a minimum of 250 pieces of the same mail sent to the same zip code. All postcards had to be sorted by zip, stacked the same direction, labled with the appropriate sticker that the post office provides and then be placed in a special tray. And then I had to take these downtown to my closest Bulk Sort facility (not all post offices are bulk sort facilities). This was a 40 minute drive one-way. I had 3 postoffices within a 5 mile radious of my home but none accepted bulk mail.

Thirdly, your bulk permit must be printed on each postcard per the postoffice guidelines - or another option was to rent a postage meter (not cheap) and have a slug designed with your permit on it and then run each peice through the machine.

Fourth, you have to make a deposit into your bulk rate account. This is where the cost of your bulk rate postage will be withdrawn.
All in all, do you think this was worth the money invested and the effort?

God, Country, Corps
Encore 32"
Honda HRX
Echo Blower
Stihl BR420
Makita DCS6401
Echo Weedeater
Echo Edger
Echo Power Pruner PPT-260

"Can't lowball me, I know my value"
Old 07-21-2010, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Short answer, heck no. Even when I send off a thousand postcards at a time, I still buy regular stamps now. Even if I saved about 8 cents per thousand using a bulk rate permit, saving $80 sure isnt worth the hassel. I think that is about the max you can save on a bulk permit for postcards, and it might be less if you dont have enough to run a "full sort" or whatever they call it. Maybe when I get up to sending ten thousand or so at a time it could possibly be worth it, saving $800.
14x7 landscaping trailer
12x6 P&T hydro dump trailer w/leaf box
We run Gravely ZTRs, Honda 21"s, Kawasaki trimmers, Redmax Backpacks, LittleWonder loader