Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2010, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Erosion Problems on steep long hill...

I have about a half a football field of fresh dirt that has a hill all along it ... it has a steep hill all along it that goes down to the street... the hill is very steep that has no vegetation because it is a fresh excavation...it drops about 20 feet from the top to the bottom... it goes from the top to the bottom in about 15 feet... in other words... it is almost impossible to walk down... very steep... it is fresh topsoil/sand/sugar clay... i have just put 55 gallon plastic barrels in the ground on top with 3 inch schedule 40 pipe(I have to drive over it with my backhoe on occasion to clean up the soil when it washes below) to take the water to the street... i still wash out quite a bit of soil ... can anyone tell me what can hold this soil in place... it does not have to be grass but can even be weeds... yes i know that is against every ones principles but i need to stop the erosion asap... if this soil washes into the street the city comes and cleans it up at my cost of just under $1000...can anyone suggest a weed that will hold the topsoil on the hill? i now have about 8 days of no rain so seed may stick... ...also have the half of football field of almost level ground that needs a grass seed to help stop the erosion of soil into the barrels which plug up with topsoil from the rain...and to make this all more complicated... i don't have lots of money to throw at this problem... please advise something that is inexpensive to plant that will save the hill from erosion and a grass seed for the almost level half football field... thanks for all your help..I am in Clinton, Iowa.... Stan
Old 06-28-2010, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sod sounds like a good option, that or some erosion control netting impregnated with some seed.

http://www.erosioncontrolblanket.com...0/Default.aspx

Look in your local phone book for a supplier in your area.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 06-28-2010, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Sod sounds like a good option, that or some erosion control netting impregnated with some seed.

http://www.erosioncontrolblanket.com...0/Default.aspx

Look in your local phone book for a supplier in your area.
Yep...Sod.

You need roots to hold the soil together, and grass is the best thing for this.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is the soil going back as fill? Is this a temp soil dump? If it is, tarp it for now.

Mick
Old 06-28-2010, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Too steep. You need an engineer and a interlock-paving stone retaining wall. Include deadmen and cross ties to hold it solid against the slope. Seed heavily with a good ryegrass. It should be strong enough to hold the soil in two weeks under optimal conditions. Include starter fertilizer and plenty of water. Perhaps reinforce this with sturdy dense ground covers like crown vetch. Also consider ivy, myrtle, goutweed, and ornamental grasses. Too steep to mow, of course.

You could consider snap-together grass pavers, which have a grid of openings in which grass comes up through the openings. Secure them with deep barbed stakes. Screw-in or duckbill ground anchors driven into the slope will help to secure your wall or lattice.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Stan Stone, I place of a RECP you could hydroseed it using Flexterra and the seed mix of your choice. Flexterra will hold the soil inplace until the grass takes over. Will you be mowing this hill? If not go with a Iowa SUDAS spec erosion mix.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Stone View Post
I have about a half a football field of fresh dirt that has a hill all along it ... it has a steep hill all along it that goes down to the street... the hill is very steep that has no vegetation because it is a fresh excavation...it drops about 20 feet from the top to the bottom... it goes from the top to the bottom in about 15 feet... in other words... it is almost impossible to walk down... very steep... it is fresh topsoil/sand/sugar clay... i have just put 55 gallon plastic barrels in the ground on top with 3 inch schedule 40 pipe(I have to drive over it with my backhoe on occasion to clean up the soil when it washes below) to take the water to the street... i still wash out quite a bit of soil ... can anyone tell me what can hold this soil in place... it does not have to be grass but can even be weeds... yes i know that is against every ones principles but i need to stop the erosion asap... if this soil washes into the street the city comes and cleans it up at my cost of just under $1000...can anyone suggest a weed that will hold the topsoil on the hill? i now have about 8 days of no rain so seed may stick... ...also have the half of football field of almost level ground that needs a grass seed to help stop the erosion of soil into the barrels which plug up with topsoil from the rain...and to make this all more complicated... i don't have lots of money to throw at this problem... please advise something that is inexpensive to plant that will save the hill from erosion and a grass seed for the almost level half football field... thanks for all your help..I am in Clinton, Iowa.... Stan
p.s.... I am 60 years old and living on fixed income so the best i can hope for is to buy some kind of seed to throw down and cant really afford hiring a professional like yourselves to do it right by using concrete blocks... nor can i afford sod....I can just do minimal work cuz of my health...which makes this problem even more complicated to resolve... thanks to all who gave me advice...sorry i didn't advise this earlier.... Stan
Old 06-29-2010, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

K31 tall fescue...........
Old 06-29-2010, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
K31 tall fescue...........
That and rye grass.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a good link from California--he is strongly against grass--advises mixed grass and shrubbery, and trees. http://www.laspilitas.com/garden/howto/slope.html

And here is a site that suggests grass for slopes. Add fertilizer and water to stimulate new grass to grow.

http://www.turfgrasses.com/info/erosion.html

And another, they recommend adding clover or a legume to boost soil fertility.
http://www.ssseeds.com/pdf/SSSeeds_Guide.pdf
And http://landscaping.about.com/od/vine...roundcover.htm
Various experts suggest blue rug juniper, winter creeper, virginia creeper, wild grape, crown vetch. You must control the flow of water during heavy rains.