Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2010, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Dixie chopper classic 50" vs. Gravely pro 52"

Well I'm getting a new ztr here in the next couple of days. I think I have narrowed it down to the 2009 Dixie classic with the 27hp generac and the 50" deck.
But a serious contestant to me is the 2010 gravely pro152 with a 24 kawi and a 52" xforce deck.
Both machines are through very reputable dealers and I like both of them. The classic has a great 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. The Gravely has a 2 year with the GAP thing where if it breaks and the dealer can't give fix it within 24 hours they will give me another gravely until it is fixed, which almost assures me of never having down time.

The classic is 7200 otd
The pro152 is 7400 otd

I test rode both and they are both great machines and cut great! Just seeing if one you guys had any better knowledge about these machines.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2010, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know much about gravely's but I do know about Dixie's. The generac engines are powerful and pretty fuel efficient (which is a plus), but not many people use generacs compared to kawi's....so getting info about the engine can be a little trickier than other major engine brands. I am a partial to kawi just because I think they run smoother.

The dixies have a pretty good cut and can handle a high volume of clippings well. They do okay on hills, better going sideways than up and down. Their warranty is great, one of the better warranties in the industry. Their parts are typically genaric, so you don't need to buy any special brand parts for your mower....you can get them for your local auto part stores usually.

Dixie Choppers are not for everyone. They have a different look to them and are not as popular as other brands. They work great for some and not so great for others. In my experience I don't think I would go back to dixie. But they do build a pretty good mower.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 06-28-2010, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Being familiar with SWFL I would suggest going with the Dixie over the Aries. The gravely is a nice piece but underpowered for the growth your going to encounter down there. Also, the Dixie will sell way faster than the Gravely when its time.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Sure does look like the DC has alot of upsides! Anyone on the gravley.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2010, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

well idk dixies but i do know deeres and gravelys. If brad says deere>dixie. I say gravely>deere. If I had a choice between a gravely and a 800 series deere. I would get the gravely. If I had a choice between a 900 series deere and a gravely. I would get the deere. Go with dealer support. I know from experience a bigger dealer is not allways better. My gravely dealer has had my 36(run over) for over 2 weeks. I have spent over 1,500 dollars in that store this year and not one dollar of that came from a handheld or mower. They did 7,000,000 in business last year. I am loosing money every day.........for reference my gravely was run over and i still used it for a few weeks....

Fully Insured and Tax Paying Proprietorship
2004 F150 FX4
6.5x14 Open Trailer
15/36 Gravely Pro Hydro
17/48 Gravely Pro Hydro w/ 2 wheel sulky
21 inch Snapper
3 Shindaiwa T-260s
Shindaiwa T-270
Echo 265-T
Stihl FS90R
Deere and Echo Blowers
Echo HC 150
A pitchfork that can pick up a yard of mulch in one swoop
Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunterd08 View Post
well idk dixies but i do know deeres and gravelys. If brad says deere>dixie. I say gravely>deere. If I had a choice between a gravely and a 800 series deere. I would get the gravely. If I had a choice between a 900 series deere and a gravely. I would get the deere. Go with dealer support. I know from experience a bigger dealer is not allways better. My gravely dealer has had my 36(run over) for over 2 weeks. I have spent over 1,500 dollars in that store this year and not one dollar of that came from a handheld or mower. They did 7,000,000 in business last year. I am loosing money every day.........for reference my gravely was run over and i still used it for a few weeks....
The deere 900 series is a very nice mower, saw them at the dealer but the guy was saying it was a 12k + machine. Also, the gravley is only 7k + tax...

Who knows, I like the idea of the mulching set up on the Dixie over no multchin setup on the gravely unless I pay more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One month ago I was down to the exact same mowers. I bought the Gravely 152. I drove both and it was pretty obvious to me. The prices were $7,999 for the Dixie and $6,500 for my Gravely. I found that the Gravely rode much better with the suspensions seat, and handled better with the steering dampeners. I also liked the maintenance factor, the Gravely has no grease points, and the Dixie has a lot. Also, the Dixie has a ton of nylon hoses on it and I'm not a big fan of a ton of hoses(possible leak points). I liked the hydros better on the Gravely, the seat, the fit and finish, cut quality, handling, warranty, deck lift, and about everything else. I also like the idea of having a Kawasaki rather than a Generac. Generac makes a great generator, as I have worked on them, but I don't see many on commercial mowers. The Dixie looked like a well built mower, but everthing on the Gravely was more appealing to me. I think your Gravely dealer is trying to get one over on you on the Gravely, as you should be able to get a 252 for only $7,500. I paid $6,600 for my pro turn 152 and that was with three extra sets of blades, air filters, hydro filters, oil filter and oil, and more. I also like the tires much better on the Gravely, those on the Classic will rip a yard to shreds if your not careful. I now have 30+ hrs on my Graveley and like everything about it so far. The 24 Kawi has plenty of power, and it has a great cut. Hope this helps.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Actually the Dixie tires are pretty easy on turf. The worst tires that I have ran are the Maxxis turf tires. I've put many thousands of hours on all kinds of mowers and guess what "They all Break". Look for a god dealer who a lot of other LCOs go to and stop a guy on the street and ask how the dealer treats them. That is worth its weight in gold. I can make any mower cut good but I can also repair most myself. Don't be afraid of the Dixie or Generac
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2010, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think you can get the Dixie with a Kohler.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmetz View Post
The deere 900 series is a very nice mower, saw them at the dealer but the guy was saying it was a 12k + machine. Also, the gravley is only 7k + tax...

Who knows, I like the idea of the mulching set up on the Dixie over no multchin setup on the gravely unless I pay more.
Posted via Mobile Device
yea, i was just trying to compare things I had actually used. Go with the gravely. you will not be sorry.

Fully Insured and Tax Paying Proprietorship
2004 F150 FX4
6.5x14 Open Trailer
15/36 Gravely Pro Hydro
17/48 Gravely Pro Hydro w/ 2 wheel sulky
21 inch Snapper
3 Shindaiwa T-260s
Shindaiwa T-270
Echo 265-T
Stihl FS90R
Deere and Echo Blowers
Echo HC 150