Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Weed ID confusions...

I was ID'ing a grassy weed earlier today and it got me thinking. Every time someone posts "What is this" they get many different answers...some are correct others are wrong and then there's the ones that are waaaaaay off. So, if all the weeds that we are treating are what we think they are then why so many opinions? And do some just keep hitting it with their truck bed full of backpack mixtures hoping that one works? How's that go over with the customer?

Just a thought...
Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

From my experience on this site, people will go out and find the most difficult weed to identify or a weed that pops up from a bag of wild bird seed and post it. Sometimes, the obvious is what it is..........and the remainder of the time it is cool season grasses that appear different from one region to the next. The majority of the weeds for lawns is pretty basic and are identifiable on the first hit...........then again someone will throw in a weed from the pasture and give it a whirl.
The answer to your last remark is no in my case. All labels are pretty extensive as to what the product controls, however not all labels are exactly perfect. Some herbicides kill more than what they say. I believe that my customers leave the weed worries to us and don't care as long as the weeds are taken care of............period. Their is a reason and method to my madness of allowing certain weeds to infest a certain area of my lawn............so I can test out mixtures.......according to the label to see how they react to our temperatures and humidities. I will practice on my own lawn before entering a customers property. That would be costly to experiment on someone else's investments.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL1981 View Post
I was ID'ing a grassy weed earlier today and it got me thinking. Every time someone posts "What is this" they get many different answers...some are correct others are wrong and then there's the ones that are waaaaaay off. So, if all the weeds that we are treating are what we think they are then why so many opinions? And do some just keep hitting it with their truck bed full of backpack mixtures hoping that one works? How's that go over with the customer?

Just a thought...
Why so many opinions? Experience or lack thereof... Some throw everything but the kitchen sink at it. An expensive, irresponsible approach IMO. Customers rarely know this unless it is pounded to the point of killing the turf...or happen to ask"What is that, and what are you going to use to get rid of it?" Step 1 in Responsible Weed Control is Proper ID of Pest(weed) to be controlled. This step is the one most often skipped. I had a licensed idiot ask me to drive by a property he was treating Dallisgrass on (with no luck) he said he had sprayed it multiple times with MSMA and the Dallisgrass just kept coming back. I drove by and never got out of my truck(I didn't have to). It was one of the thickest stands of Bahiagrass I've ever seen.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

^by no means am i an expert at identifying weeds, but how do you confuse those two??
Old 06-28-2010, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Im with you both when it comes to making sure it is what it is first. Then treating it properly.

Think Green, I just did some testing on my lawn this evening so I totally agree with your "method of madness"

Like I said, it is just crazy how many different responses there are and kinda scares me to think that so many LCO's are quick on the nozzle without proper ID first.

And the question about the truck bed full of backpacks was rhetorical- I surely wouldn't use that method and know that most responsible LCO's wouldn't either. I'm just saying'...
Old 06-28-2010, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
^by no means am i an expert at identifying weeds, but how do you confuse those two??
Like I said, he's an idiot. Licensed, but still an idiot. The only thing I can think is that he saw the seedtops waving in the breeze. That is the only thing remotely similar between the 2. I never called him back. I thought to myself "What an F'ing Idiot" There are a few that slip through the cracks in our testing process.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This happens often in my area. Confusing purple nutsedge with kyllinga or oxalis with a true clover are just two of the opportunities for people in the business to make fools of themselves. The common treatment for purple nutsedge will not provide commercially acceptable control of kyllinga. Most products labeled for clover will not do much to established oxalis. The correct treatment for that weed is measured in grams per acre not ounces per gallon. There are also many times when a treatment removes way more than what the label says it will. Especially with the new herbicides that have been through an expedited registration process like Celsius.

Think Green. For many years, as long as I have been in the green industry, my home lawn has been a test plot. That is where I developed the fertilizer program I use. That is where the various herbicide protocols get tested. BTW, the lawn is Tifgreen bermuda cut at less than an inch. I am spraying on the equivalent of a push up green. With the exception of a mix containing Sencor, if my lawn tolerates it, my accounts with centipede, st augustine or zoysia can take it. In many cases, I see more injury on my lawn than on a client's lawn. Short cut bermuda is probably one of the touchier grasses out there

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-29-2010, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL1981 View Post

Just a thought...
Well ...if you have to ask what the weed is ...then two things are happening, you are not Licensed to fert and you don't know where to get the information you need. Every LCO in this area has two or three backpack sprayers on their rigs and none of them are licensed. So to sum it up ...people just have fun posting the Waaaaaay off ...because they don't want to help but confuse the non licensed.

Find your post count in Bumpville:
http://www.lawnsite.com/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=180628
Old 06-29-2010, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Their is a reason and method to my madness of allowing certain weeds to infest a certain area of my lawn............so I can test out mixtures.......according to the label to see how they react to our temperatures and humidities. I will practice on my own lawn before entering a customers property. That would be costly to experiment on someone else's investments.
So I'm not the only one to do this
I have an area behind the garden that for most of the year is hidden due to the garden so its 1. not seen if I FUBAR it 2. Anytime I use something new like a herbicide I haven't used before it first gets tested there first before I put it on my lawn.

Actually, just last night I used Sedgehammer for the first time and since I didn't have any in back of the garden I put it on the main area in the back lawn first. I keep a diary of anything I do from year to year so I can refer back to it next year.

This entry got put in last night and will be updated with results in 3 weeks when I can see results:
Quote:
June 28, 2010 – Test area
With nutsedge now showing up for about a month, have been painting on round-up with a glove due to temperatures above 90 did not want to risk damaging grass even though it can be sprayed above 90 I seen no reason to take a risk. With forecast now showing cooler temperatures applied 1 pack (0.9 grams) of SedgeHammer® to 1.5 gallon of water with ½ oz of LI 700 (as a nonionic surfactant and drift control) to worst area in backyard from shed to side fence and from holly over to garden down to gas tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
+2

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-29-2010, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the most productive posts are when someone posts a weed/disease and gets a response like

"Hmmm im not really sure but it kinda looks like X, go to LEsco and buy Y that should get rid of it"

it helps to identify the people who you should never listen to