Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Billy Goat leav vac

How do these work... Im talking about the walk behind ones not the leaf loaders for the truck.

Need to invest in something to help me out this season. I would like to go ahead and buy one of these b/c a few of my lawns I can't get a zero turn in.

About 1/2 my yards I can put the leaves along the street and the town will come by and get them. I also have a dumptruck with a roll tarp if need be.
08 Lazer Z HP 52" 23hp Kohler w/ezchute
08 Turbo Force 36" 15hp Kawi w/accelerator
Push Mower, 52" Snapper WB Backup
Sthil KM110 Kombi Edger/Pruners/brush cutter
Stihl KM 90R Kombi String Trimmer
Sthil BR 600M and 550 Blowers
Sthil HS 45 Pruners, Stihl MS 290 Saw
Huskavarna Weedeater, 340 Chain Saw
Ryan lawnare IV
Billy Goat Vac

Working my way to more work
Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a yardman version, works fantastic, It has a chipper shoot in it as well for larger twigs etc.. does get dusty behind them when your sucking up dry stuff
Old 09-17-2009, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a billy goat walk behind with the extra hose for beds. It works great! Stripes the lawn too
Old 09-17-2009, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I watched a few video's on u tube and it showed it picking up cans and all kinds of things. I would like to get an ultra vac bagger for my exmark and a steel catcher can for my walk behind but this looks like it would be the most versitle.
08 Lazer Z HP 52" 23hp Kohler w/ezchute
08 Turbo Force 36" 15hp Kawi w/accelerator
Push Mower, 52" Snapper WB Backup
Sthil KM110 Kombi Edger/Pruners/brush cutter
Stihl KM 90R Kombi String Trimmer
Sthil BR 600M and 550 Blowers
Sthil HS 45 Pruners, Stihl MS 290 Saw
Huskavarna Weedeater, 340 Chain Saw
Ryan lawnare IV
Billy Goat Vac

Working my way to more work
Old 09-19-2009, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They also work great for shrub jobs. After you've picked up the worst of the clippings, you can suck the rest of the debris up with the billy goat.

I personally don't own one, but demoed one for a large shrub job, and loved it. If I didn't have other toys to buy, I'd get one.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

home owner equipment.

Maybe ... if you work by yourself you'd benefit from it but really with the price tag....its not worth it.

I tell you what you can do if your on the fence about it. Get one from DR. Power. If you don't like it shove it back to them after 6 months.

or you could rent one. I saw one at Sunbelt rentals the other day so may a rental in your area has one.

I guarantee you 2 things. 1) you send it back given the chance and 2) the DR and BG are the exact same machine. The engine may be different but so what. With the amount of plastic on that thing surley any Briggs engine will outlast the unit.

They are so f'ing stupid or they think the consumer is. BG is a piece of crap and this proves it. I tried to get BG to admit that the DR was the same they wouldn't. After five mins. on the phone with DR they told me "yes" its the same manufacturer. The local rep for BG is too busy with his other brands and apparently BG is the least of his concern.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2009, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

this thing you see everywhere. Craiglist has them all the time. The problem is its really a piece of junk. The bag feeds from the bottom so once it starts to get a decent amount of debre it becomes useless. Then you get to empty it. Worthless.

At least with the MV and DR models it feeds from the top. No compaction though. Leaf in leaf out.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2009, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And this thing. Whoa. This is their biggest POS. I rented this once for a job. Put it back on the trailor.

Later I rented it again to see if it would help as a street sweeper on a big HOA job. Burned me twice.

I hope BG goes out of business but that probably obvious by now.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2009, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will say this though. The guy that mentioned shrubs. The MV does a decent job cleaning up after a shrub trim. But then again if you have two guys, a rake, a blower and leaf bags the job is done and you don't have a pos sitting on your trailer the rest of the day.

Deal or Dud?

DUD....

If I just had to have a vac. I'd try a little wonder. I've never seen one and when I called to ask about them it was a low keyed conversation. They really don't care if you buy one or not. I just appears to be more of a commercial grade product.

Last edited by TPnTX; 09-24-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries's Avatar
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries is offline
Sponsor

If we listened to every know-it-all who's dropping 4 posts on the same thread at 6:30 in the morning we'd be out of business. We've been around for over 40 years. Indeed we do make the unit for CHP. The difference being their unit is Briggs powered whereas ours is Honda powered. Bottom line, it's a commercially designed and built unit.

What's wrong with plastic? Just like the naysayers who said plastic won't hold up in autos, back-packs, chainsaws, string trimmers, gas tanks etc... they're wrong. The fact that TPnTX didn't know the MV a top fill design indicates he's either mistaken about the unit in question or has never actually run one. With that being said, the other advice given should be taken with a substantially large grain of salt.

Plastic keeps the weight and noise down. The plastic used in the housing is called "crosslink". We test it by shooting 1/4 and 1/2 steel ball bearings into the impeller with the unit in full operation. It holds up better than steel in impact and sand abrasion.

The competitive unit mentioned? It works okay if you like pushing 180 pounds around, up to 270# if the bag is full. Our push unit weighs 162 pounds. Our self-propelled unit weighs 179 pounds. Noise?, let the units speak for themselves. However, don't use the competitive unit in a cemetery as it could wake the dead. Unlike some here, I've actually run one.

As with any of our vacuums, it all depends on the application if it's the right unit for you. Is it for everyone? Nope, but for those who want to clean up certain areas of cans, bottles, baby diapers, leaves, cigarette butts, hedge clippings and general trash they will be very satisfied.