Register free!

Old 07-12-2010, 03:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm stuck with exactly the same problem with one of my customer. He plan to make snow-white path paving. Iron concentration is around 17 ppm.

However American Hydro seems does not operate in Russian market. There is no problem with injection pump (we can use Venturi injectors or Dosatron/Dosamatic/MixRite pumps). But where to get chemicals? What is a formula?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My cost for a 30-gallon siphon system is about $160.00 and the chemical cost to the customer is, on the average, $25-$30 per month. (Installed on a 1 HP shallow well jet with an average of 5 zones.)

Mex[/QUOTE]

Mex, is this the price for the entire system?
I called JDL today and for the whole system, 30 gal. tank, pump, 5 gal. of formula 2000, etc. was right around $675. Does this sound right?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2010, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the one substance I know that will react with rust to produce a colorless product is oxalic acid. The chemists in the audience could work out the concentration needed to treat water. Now, I never heard of applying oxalic acid to a lawn, so what the stuff does to vegetation, I don't know.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dirt Boy

The price I quoted is for a siphon system.

The price that JDL quoted you sounds like an injection system.

Big difference both in price and in the mechanics of how they work.

Regards,

Mex
Old 07-13-2010, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Mex, that's the deal, and I would have to use the injection system as the well/pressure tank is in a pit.

Regards
Old 07-13-2010, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thus the argument to use an RP versus a DC or PVB.

Last edited by ARGOS; 07-13-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, according to MSDS specs at AmericanHydro site:
  • formula 500, 2000 is 2-HYDROXY-1,2,3-PROPANETRICARBOXYLIC ACID (citric acid)
  • formula 1000 is TETRASODIUM ETHYLENEDIAMINE TETRAACETATE
  • formula 3000 is Polyphosphoric acids, sodium salts

Oxalic acid is "RUST STAIN REMOVERS " product. It's also unclear whether some catalysts are added. What about acids - it's well known practice in agricultural drip irrigation to rise pH to avoid salt precipitations (Ca,Mg).

Need to consult with good chemist or switch to trivial iron filters. It will be commercial scale filters, but customer seems ready to pay for. Despite filter high price and disadvantages (one need to replace media probably every 1-2 seasons) it is no option to experiment in customer property.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I did a project 2 years ago with the same problem.The property was very large, almost 5 acres with irrigation and she had hardscape everywhere. The homeowner tried rid o rust, and a filtration system with little luck. After 2 years of frustration we found a company in RI called Aqua Science. They installed a product called the Water Dog. If I remember correctly I think they said it burns the iron out of the water before it goes to the irrigation, not sure. I do know that it worked great and was the only thing that worked on the property.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
Well, according to MSDS specs at AmericanHydro site:
  • formula 500, 2000 is 2-HYDROXY-1,2,3-PROPANETRICARBOXYLIC ACID (citric acid)
  • formula 1000 is TETRASODIUM ETHYLENEDIAMINE TETRAACETATE
  • formula 3000 is Polyphosphoric acids, sodium salts

Oxalic acid is "RUST STAIN REMOVERS " product. It's also unclear whether some catalysts are added. What about acids - it's well known practice in agricultural drip irrigation to rise pH to avoid salt precipitations (Ca,Mg).

Need to consult with good chemist or switch to trivial iron filters. It will be commercial scale filters, but customer seems ready to pay for. Despite filter high price and disadvantages (one need to replace media probably every 1-2 seasons) it is no option to experiment in customer property.
IMO by the time you find something that will actually work .... the cost to install and maintain it will far exceed the cost of redoing the irrigation to prevent the hardscape from getting watered.

http://www.hellenbrand.com/my_files/...alBrochure.pdf
Old 07-13-2010, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterpreferred View Post
If I remember correctly I think they said it burns the iron out of the water before it goes to the irrigation, not sure. I do know that it worked great and was the only thing that worked on the property.
Water Dog is really interesting system, but it's only oxygen saturator, is not it? One need to install one of those sweet babies anyway and regularly replace filtration media.

And 120 (really 127) Volts has gone in Russia since mid of 1980. No international dealers and international version of product are available.