Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2011, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are the one who doesn't understand the study. It's explained pretty black and white to its purpose. The study you want is another entirely different study that requires an active water manager. If that is the need for accuracy then the manufacturers need to state that as one of the parameters for proper watering. That study would involve the degree and frequency of tweaking necessary for accuracy and whetherthe manager whoever it may be can perform it accurately.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2011, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
You are the one who doesn't understand the study.
Read the study again Pete. The study is targeted at the irrigation professional, who is expected to "tweak" the controller based on site conditions. If I am not mistaken, all smart controllers have two choices of programming .... the idiot proof one which uses broad assumptions and generalizations .... and the professional (advanced) programming which allows the knowledgeable person to "tweak" the controller to site conditions. The controllers in this study were "tweaked" to the virtual site conditions .... and hence the importance of knowing exactly how the controllers were programmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
It's explained pretty black and white to its purpose.
Yes it is Pete .... why don't you try reading instead of skimming, and more importantly understanding the study before you attempt to discuss it.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We can logically assume the controllers were tweaked in the beginning by professionals as accurately as they could be based on the parameters the manufacturers provided. To suggest you need to personally know the settings is pretty typical since no controller in the history of the universe has been programmed properly unless it has had your two cents. The study isn't about how awesome you program controllers.

Now future tweakings is a whole different study.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2011, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I see we are done here. Thanks for your uninformed participation.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBFOXJr View Post
I couldn't bear to read all the posts. Hunter has a publication "Scheduling Irrigation". P/N 700278, or Lit 088.pdf.

I say misinformation because the rule of thumb 1"/wk has absolutely no scientific basis behind it. What matters is the evapotranspiration in your climate, the precipitation rate of the system, and the month of the year. Sure we can talk about uniformity, efficiency and crop coefficients, but the basic premise of irrigation is this keeping the soil fully hydrated. When mother nature does that no one is concerned about any info.

In my area, southern NJ just east of Philadelphia, we're warm humid to warm dry by Hunters potential evapotranspiration rates. That is we lose between .15" and .25" of moisture per day. Our peak moisture demand months are June and July.

I figure we need about .2" of water per day to stay even, and knowing the precipitation rate of the systems I build, I schedule accordingly. I like my rotors to deliver at least .4"/hr and I do use matched precipitation rate nozzles. So in June/July our rotors need to run about 3.5 hrs per week, delivering at least 1.4" of water. The schedule works flawlessly.

We are now install the Hunter Solar sync on all new systems to manage the run times. They are easy to set up and reliably change the run times via the seasonal adjustment on the controller on a daily basis.

For us our percent of peak moisture useage looks like this.

Apr 55%, May 80%, June, July 100%, Aug 85%, September 65%, Oct 35% and Nov 20%. So when it's recommended to water new seed in late summer and fall, 2 or 3 times per day, real seasonal need must be factored in or the seedlings could drown or dessicate.

This publication also has the moisture holding capacity of various soil types. Sand only holds a useful .75" in the top foot of the soil profile. By watering 1" per week we would be in a deficit situation in our 2nd week and the turf would stress and decline if it were June/July.

Loams and silt loams hold 2"-2.25" of water and by adding an inch per week wouldn't stress until the 3rd week. Clay soils loose holding capacity because they are so fine and tightly packed there is not as much room to hold water, and the water is more tightly held to the smaller soil particles. They are better than sand, but not as good as loam.

Lastly the matter of what time of day to water and how many times per week. Rutgers University says midnight to 8am is the best water window. We find it works and no it doesn't "cause fungus" or create conditions favorable for fungus.

I defy all advice and water 1 time per day, aiming to replace lost moisture. I have done this for 12 years and love it. I've dug holes and pulled soild samples to see the root penetration in my lawn. 18" roots and moisture all the way down, It works! All that needs to be done with irrigation is start watering before stress occurs and the moisture reserve is depleted.
One more thing to note here given your later post, which prompted me to read this one again..

I categorically disagree with the statement in bold, with the possible exception of SDI in certain scenarios. Why you would follow a generally good informative post with a statement (and the later post) that is in direct contradiction to what you just wrote boggles my mind.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As long as there isn't runoff, why not water infrequently and deeply?
Old 08-13-2011, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Alwaysgood but if you are watering way deeper than the established root zone?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2011, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously there's the point of diminishing returns.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Geez, you dopes, get a 12" Lincoln moisture probe forestry-suppliers.com, it is indespensible to fine-tuning a system, including a so-called "Smart System". After all, no one has given us x-ray vision, before you dink with the settings on the clock,you need to be in the field and do the measuring BEFORE screwing around with the clock.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hope someday you write a brief paper on your use of the Lincoln and how it helped your water mangement through use of the controller. Might show beanies the value of pricing in and selling after install monitoring.
Posted via Mobile Device