Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2000, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I was planning on buying a B&M shift improver kit for my '77 k-20 4X4 with a th350. Should I buy the regular shift improver kit and put on the RV/Heavy Duty plate or buy their light truck shift improver kit?
Old 03-11-2000, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The light duty wont hit as hard as HD/Rv shift kit.If it's sloppy now,go with the HD.If its tight now and you want to improve it you will have to go easy with the drill bits on the separater plate or you will be upset when it bangs to hard when shifting.If its a plow truck,you dont want to up main line press to much,it will bang hard from F-R when you shift.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 03-11-2000, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The light duty wont hit as hard as HD/Rv shift kit.If it's sloppy now,go with the HD.If its tight now and you want to improve it you will have to go easy with the drill bits on the separater plate or you will be upset when it bangs to hard when shifting.If its a plow truck,you dont want to up main line press to much,it will bang hard from F-R when you shift.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 03-14-2000, 11:33 AM
4LOW

i've had a b&m shift kit in my 77 1/2<br>ton for a year and a half now and i'm<br>taking it out tomorrow. it is in rv hd <br>mode and bangs a lot, even more so in<br>4 low. the trans was rebuilt before the <br>kit was installed by a local shop that<br>only does auto trans work. otherwise the<br>trans is fine, i tow a trailer occasionally.<br>i'm putting in an ATP shift improvement kit<br>that does'nt increase firmness but does increase oiling. a trans temp gauge &<br>an oil cooler along with regular fluid<br>changes will keep your trans alive for <br>a long time. <br>4LOW