Register free!

Old 07-05-2010, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, Greenmonster

How's the water pressure out east during this heat wave? I hear tell there is a request to lower irrigation use.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is interesting....you guys are losing about 1.25" a week
http://ccesuffolk.org/assets/GDD-Rep...tion-Email.pdf
Old 07-05-2010, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here that is a drop in the big bucket. There is not a shortage of water. There is plenty of water in our very deep aquifers. It's a situation of low pressure (and high electric pump use) as everyone is watering their lawns all day long.

The lawn watering does percolate down back into the aquifers, the source for Long Island water.

We are very "due" for a good rain storm. Should recover that 1.25" right away.

Actually the 3 week lack of regular rain has a sorta good side effect. The water table has been higher during the last year and people have had to pump their basements on a regular basis. This situation has enabled them to dry out with out running pumps.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

it is dry as hell. i just went on a call today, the guy has 3 acres and doesn't want it to run during the day but wants green grass. it took a little convincing but I got him to let me run them during the day. i did notice the pressure was a little poor but not too bad. most of my big places have wells though.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Water pressure is down but not terrible around here too. I see a lot of people watering their lawns during the daytime this last week. Funny thing, there are many that are in-ground sprinkler systems amongst them. Of these, the grass is already brown or getting there. Tells me they have had the systems turned off for a while.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a lot of late service calls from people that never turned on their systems last year.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I had a lot of late service calls from people that never turned on their systems last year.
Ya need to explain to them that an irrigation system is like a vehicle. Use it and have it professionaly maintained and it will last a lot longer.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Ya need to explain to them that an irrigation system is like a vehicle.
This is my favorite thing to do. There are moving parts that wear down, as well as electrical components that break down. A car will only last so long, before it needs a complete overhaul or replacement.

The problem is, what a lot of people have for a sprinkler system is a 1985 Toyota Corolla. Which in 1985 might have been a good solid car. But as time rolls on, that 1985 TC needs general maintenance and replacement parts. And when we get to 2010, it is STILL a 1985 TC, unless we have done a ton of upgrades and modifications. I charge the same amount whether I am working on a 1985 TC, or a 2010 BMW.

I recently broke one of the cardinal rules and worked for a friend (not extremely close) on their 1985 TC system. The husband showed me some of the problems, then left and let me have at it. The wife recently was making offhand comments about being charged $300 and thought it was high, when in reality, is was $84 less than that, and nobody was there to know what I fixed or how bad it was. I even gave them a $50 discount. I gave her the same exact analogy and she asked how much to put in a new system, and I told her a minimum of $10K.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some of my clients are having financial issues, so I could understand why they avoided turning on their systems during a wet year. I can imagine one of them is going to be unpleasantly surprised when they fire up a 20+ year old system of PGPs that had a two-year vacation.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Some of my clients are having financial issues, so I could understand why they avoided turning on their systems during a wet year. I can imagine one of them is going to be unpleasantly surprised when they fire up a 20+ year old system of PGPs that had a two-year vacation.
Once again, much like a car. If it sits for a couple years without being started up periodically, there can be problems. And they might not show until a few weeks after it has been running.