Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2012, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tq23 View Post
I was trying to kill some ivy growing and had no luck with roundup. I mixed it at 4 ounces per gallon of water and it did absolutely nothing to the ivy, all the weeds growing in the ivy are now dead, but didn't even yellow the ivy. Considering what the next step will be in trying to remove this stuff.
What percentage of glyphosphate was on the bottle of roundup. I shop around and look for a percentage of at least 40%.

I was very successful killing ivy with "roundup" that is what everybody calls it but every dist,retailer has their own brand.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach s View Post
It's been 5 days since I sprayed round-up. Not noticing that it did much to the ivy. I will wait a couple more days and then spray again. I am leaning toward
using shovels, rakes and just good old man power pulling the ivy out. We are going to try a section next week and see how it goes.
We also use a stihl kombi hedge trimming where you can basically cut up the ivy and then apply roundup. It's like putting the poison right into the body of the plant.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy252 View Post
The goats are a great idea. Many homeowners are open to a more green solution. Offer it as an option, otherwise rip the ivy out, seed the area and use a good broadleaf herb next year on any sprouts that come up.
Goats are a terrible idea. Goats are for pastures. Goats are not even a "green" option for a home lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNyz View Post
Haha lmao,

By the way isn't gly a contact and not a systemic?
UUUH OOOH!
Misinformation.
Glyphosate is a systemic-non selective herbicide.
Why would you not think that this material is used to control the root as well and the plant???
Glyphosate's mode of action is to inhibit an enzyme involved in the synthesis of the aromatic amino acids: tyrosine, tryptophan and phenylalanine. It is absorbed through foliage and translocated to growing points. Because of this mode of action, it is only effective on actively growing plants; it is not effective as a pre-emergence herbicide.
If you sprayed a desirable turfgrass with roundup then a few days later you will see that the overspray will absorb inward and kill the surrounding areas of the turfgrass. Ivy is a bit more tougher to control than using glyphosate alone.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
UUUH OOOH!
Misinformation.
Glyphosate is a systemic-non selective herbicide.
Why would you not think that this material is used to control the root as well and the plant???
Glyphosate's mode of action is to inhibit an enzyme involved in the synthesis of the aromatic amino acids: tyrosine, tryptophan and phenylalanine. It is absorbed through foliage and translocated to growing points. Because of this mode of action, it is only effective on actively growing plants; it is not effective as a pre-emergence herbicide.
If you sprayed a desirable turfgrass with roundup then a few days later you will see that the overspray will absorb inward and kill the surrounding areas of the turfgrass. Ivy is a bit more tougher to control than using glyphosate alone.
Goats are non-selective...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey gaengineer, what wrong with goats??? I'm thinking about goats for my place, if I ever get time for the fences and go goat shopping... I have plenty of places for them to clean and keep clean, so my plan is rotating overgrown brush thick pastures...
Old 08-13-2012, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsldULFSROc
Everyone get your order in!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Hey gaengineer, what wrong with goats??? I'm thinking about goats for my place, if I ever get time for the fences and go goat shopping... I have plenty of places for them to clean and keep clean, so my plan is rotating overgrown brush thick pastures...
Everything is wrong when using them in a 25-50k landscape!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Everything is wrong when using them in a 25-50k landscape!
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh,,, I thot they were just going over to cleanup the ivy and fertilize the bed...

In reality, I imagine, they'd get sick of the ivy pretty quick...
Old 08-14-2012, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I used these 2 and had great easy results. I kept cutting down into the dirt with the blade. Raked everything out and haven't had an issue since.