Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, you know, my first thought when I saw this equipment, and read this post was: "what a joke, is this guy serious about doing commercial mowing with this junk".
Then, I thought back to my own startup in the mowing business. Not counting my younger days of mowing as a kid, I really got started in about 1984. I started out with a ratty looking 12 year old Ford pickup, a Sears 21" mower, a 1954 Huffy 18" mower, and Sears weedeater and hand blower. I ended up with the second largest mowing operation in our town of 100,000+ people, had several crews mowing, and made a good living for my family from the mowing operations.
So, I am not going to laugh or make fun of him. I say, go for it and good luck. We all have to start somewhere.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
Thats all you need. You are gonna be debt free and out making money. You can haul leaves and stuff with that too. You need to document this so you can show your path to fame and fortune. Someday I see you writing a book. You, my friend, are a smart fellow with a head for business.
thanks for the kind and encouraging words! I'll keep you all posted.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
Well, you know, my first thought when I saw this equipment, and read this post was: "what a joke, is this guy serious about doing commercial mowing with this junk".
Then, I thought back to my own startup in the mowing business. Not counting my younger days of mowing as a kid, I really got started in about 1984. I started out with a ratty looking 12 year old Ford pickup, a Sears 21" mower, a 1954 Huffy 18" mower, and Sears weedeater and hand blower. I ended up with the second largest mowing operation in our town of 100,000+ people, had several crews mowing, and made a good living for my family from the mowing operations.
So, I am not going to laugh or make fun of him. I say, go for it and good luck. We all have to start somewhere.
Thanks man! Yes, im serious about my business and honestly dont care what others think. ill always take kind words and good advice tho.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats all you got, ''THATS ALL YOU GOT''....
I won't discredit you if your serious, keep your head up and make a go ...

Michigan has two seasons, winter and road construction.....!!!

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. Ecclesiastes 9:10
Old 07-05-2010, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosedog View Post
My mother used to tell me "if you can't say anything nice to someone,don't say anything at all", also" never judge a book by it's cover"
But this has to be a joke thread; if he shows us his push broom,and hand scissors next that he trims with,then we'll know he's playing with us.Any way it's funny stuff!
i dont know why you think this is a joke. i am a serious business man.

86' Dodge Ram van
Weed eater 22" push mower
Homelite 17" string trimmer
Echo hedge trimmer
A number of other various tools
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2010, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowngolawncare View Post
i dont know why you think this is a joke. i am a serious business man.

86' Dodge Ram van
Weed eater 22" push mower
Homelite 17" string trimmer
Echo hedge trimmer
A number of other various tools
This business is like real state, it is all about location, location, your equipment is good enough for a start, when I was a Kid I started cutting grass with a Murray 20" 3.5HP, Homelite Bandit SX125 gas trimmer, and I went to my clients houses walking with the mower, then I went to college and didn't cut anymore grass, now that I am in disability I want to start again and I just bought a few new equipment, nothing fancy, I was saying earlier this business is about location, guess what? here in PR clients don't pay for the stripes, nor the bed edges, they just want the lawn cut nicely and everything clean after you finish, most of the houses here in PR have a very small patios, I'll post some photos later so you get the idea of what am talking about, when I get to clients house the less they look at is the equipment, they don't care if you have an 80$ gas trimmer or a 400$ gs trimmer, nor they look at your weed eater push mower, they look at the results, if it's done correctly and clean.
You know something? none of my clients have a patio that I will need a mini tractor, stand, walk behind mowers, the are is so small a 20" push mower is just big enough, so don't get this comments the bad way, there is a tool for each job and right now your van and the push mower is good enough.
When your business grows then Upgrade your gear to the demand of this jobs.
I'll post some photos here tomorrow so you guys have an idea of the accounts I am talking about.
I'll never know how to operate a tractor because I don't have the need of one.
TURBO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosedog View Post
My mother used to tell me "if you can't say anything nice to someone,don't say anything at all", also" never judge a book by it's cover"
Amen to that

Last edited by TurboPirate; 07-06-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You got me beat dude. Right now I'm saving up for a truck like in my avatar but for now this is my rig. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ghlight=peugot
Old 07-06-2010, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Cant tell if serious.

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed
2009 Big Tex 5x10 Solid Sided Trailer
Ferris & Honda Mowers
Stihl, Husqvarna & Echo Handhelds
Old 07-06-2010, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
You got me beat dude. Right now I'm saving up for a truck like in my avatar but for now this is my rig. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ghlight=peugot
lmao thats one of the funniest things ive ever seen

1989 Ford F250 XLT Lariat 4x4 351ci
6x12 Single Axel Open Trailer
Cub Cadet G1548 48" Walk-behind
Bagging System
JRCO Dethatcher
JRCO Leaf Plow
Billy Goat TR800 Leaf Loader
Honda 21" Push Mower
2 Husqvarna 128LD String Trimmers
2 Husqvarna 150BT Backpack Blowers
Husqvarna Hedge Trimmer
Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chain Saw
Echo SRM-225 String Trimmer
Echo PE-225 Edger
Poulan Pro PP3516AVX Chainsaw
1969 Wheel Horse Raider 10
Old 07-06-2010, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

here is my newest addition to the lineup. I'm not sure if its going to be the main mower or a backup quite yet. Gotta love the big wheels, sweet!
Attached Images

Closed Thread