Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-05-2010, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

changing trades.

hey guys hows it going? So I have decided to leave my drywall and painting business and go into landscaping. I have been plowing in the winters and have a few plow customers that really want to me to do their lawn due to the fact that we have great relationships. Drywall is great and all, but I need something more steady and I think I can make this work. I have an 02 Ford 350 powerstroke w/ a 8' Fisher. Here is my dilemma.. I am looking into zero turns for the fact that it will make fall clean ups wayyy easier but I am worried about the size of the deck fitting through gates. I dont want to get a nice set up to find out I am going to have to blow and bag the backyards.. I am guessing nothing above a 44" can fit through a gate? Any suggestions about easier fall cleanups with a walk behind? Thanks for the help guys, hope to be hanging around here as much as I have been on plowsite the past years!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

first i would stick with the drywall and painting. prices for lawns and landscaping are getting so cheap its a joke anymore. if you are starting out i would recomend a walk behind over a z. a zwith a bagger is going to run you about 10K by the time you add up the rest of the stuff you will be closer to 15k. check around and see what pricing is in your area and how much work you will have to do to cover expenses and still make any money.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 07-05-2010, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
first i would stick with the drywall and painting. prices for lawns and landscaping are getting so cheap its a joke anymore. if you are starting out i would recomend a walk behind over a z. a zwith a bagger is going to run you about 10K by the time you add up the rest of the stuff you will be closer to 15k. check around and see what pricing is in your area and how much work you will have to do to cover expenses and still make any money.
15k? I feel as though that is extremely high, but I will do some more research on it.. As for drywall and painting, its not all its cracked up to be, to many people thinking they know what they are doing and not enough people who need it. And when they do need it, they take the bid who does it for next to nothing... I'm tired of not knowing if I will have work next week, atleast with this I can have a set schedule and know what i will be doing every week. As well as benefiting from a higher volume of demand. So if anyone can answer the question I actually asked instead of trying to discourage me, I would appreciate it. I have run a successful home improvement business for sometime now so all I am looking for is some information on equipment. Thanks again guys!
Old 07-05-2010, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

well then it all depends on the size of the gate. i can get my 52" z with the bagger throughsome gates and some we have to used the 40" w/b.

on another note read up on here if you think you have alot of people that dont know what they are doing in drywall you aint seen nothin yet.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 07-05-2010, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyVinny View Post
... to many people thinking they know what they are doing and not enough people who need it. And when they do need it, they take the bid who does it for next to nothing ...
Welcome to life as an LCO !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 07-05-2010, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyVinny View Post
... Here is my dilemma. I am looking into zero turns for the fact that it will make fall clean ups wayyy easier but I am worried about the size of the deck fitting through gates. ...
I recommend a Gravely 34" commercial ZTR ... this year it's called the Compact-PRO 34, up until last year it was called the 34Z !! You can get one new for about $ 5,300, however, if you do your homework you may be able to find a used machine for about $ 2,750.
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
Old 07-05-2010, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would stay in the drywall side of things. There is so many tools out there doing work for next to nothing. but if you do get into I would start off with a nice used small walkbehind. dont worry about the ease of fall clean ups, you can to a fall clean up with a walk behind!!
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look at this thread about the Gravely 34" machine !!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=322062
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
Old 07-05-2010, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
I would stay in the drywall side of things. There is so many tools out there doing work for next to nothing. but if you do get into I would start off with a nice used small walkbehind. dont worry about the ease of fall clean ups, you can to a fall clean up with a walk behind!!
I agree with the tool part haha, but they are in every trade... Its unbelievable.. But like i said before, I dont want to go week to week hoping i win a bid, with the landscaping I will have a contract for months and dont have to worry about staying steady. Drywall and Painting is completely corrupt due to the fact that it has such a low start up cost so once people get laid off from their jobs, they pick up a Purdy or Corona brush and call themselves a pro.. Before i started the drywall, I wanted to do landscaping... I have been around it my whole life as my father was the head groundskeeper and maintinence director for a nursing home. But im def. going to look into that gravely! thanks for the help!!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stay with the drywall and start the lawncare business on the side. Right now with it being in the middle of the season and the lack of rain in the northeast new customers are going to be very hard get without spending a lot on marketing.

Start with your own clients first and get a used 32" or 36" walk-behind for those. When the business grows & justifies getting a ZTR then get one. Hindsight is always 20/20, foresight seldom is. Plenty of new guys with no accounts run out and buy equipment they "think" they'll need only to find out later they needed something else and end up selling it at a large loss.

A used 30" commercial ZTR would be ideal when the time comes but you may not find a used one for sale. If that becomes the case Husky makes a decent 30" ZTR you could use till you get a commercial ZTR. Link is below.

Now a lot of LCO's will tell you the 30" Husky won't last a season because it's not commercial. If you run it fulltime 35hrs a week for 30 weeks racking up over 1000hrs well yeah, maybe. For you working part-time it will easily last till you get a commercial ZTR whether new or used. Good luck in your venture!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ype=G9&prdNo=9