Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-06-2010, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Temp Agencies.

I've come to the conclusion after working the last 30 days without a real day off that I need to finally hire someone.

I don't want to get into the full blown do my own payroll, etc... this year as I would like to wait until next tax season to deal with that. At that point my wife will be out of school and bringing in some added income to the family.

So, has anyone used a temp agency for landscaping work, and who did you use? Thanks.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have a company here called Labor Ready, they supply laborers up to liscenced electrictrians. I used them once about 5 years ago, then it was like 15hr, for an unskilled laborer, to push a shovel/wheelbarrow etc. They would have charged more if was using any power equipment. It was Ok for the use I had, they took care of all taxes, paperwork and insurance. So not bad, but I will say this, if you want a good days work out of any of the guys you get this was offer them a cash tip if they impress you, it will make the difference between you producing or wishing you'd never called them, and I do mean a tip, not a seperate pay plan, throw em 15-20 bucks IF they do you right 0 if they suck, and if you do this they should guarantee their guys, and will pick them up from your job if you're really unhappy.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestfireguy View Post
We have a company here called Labor Ready, they supply laborers up to liscenced electrictrians. I used them once about 5 years ago, then it was like 15hr, for an unskilled laborer, to push a shovel/wheelbarrow etc. They would have charged more if was using any power equipment. It was Ok for the use I had, they took care of all taxes, paperwork and insurance. So not bad, but I will say this, if you want a good days work out of any of the guys you get this was offer them a cash tip if they impress you, it will make the difference between you producing or wishing you'd never called them, and I do mean a tip, not a seperate pay plan, throw em 15-20 bucks IF they do you right 0 if they suck, and if you do this they should guarantee their guys, and will pick them up from your job if you're really unhappy.

Good points about the workers.

Here was what I was thinking though. I can just send people there who has asked to work for me, and then request them specifically. I originally tried Manpower, but they denied my request due to the equipment.

We do also have a Labor Ready here and that was going to be my next stop. Even though I have all the confidence in any one I send to a temp to work for me, I still might have to not let them use the equipment in order to allow a temp agency to give me employees.

That's fine though, I need someone to remove debris, move block, etc....

Old 07-09-2010, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Help Wanted

As much as I hate to sound like a bad George Lopez joke, Home Depot is the place to be, and chances are you'll find someone that really knows their stuff...even if you can't understand much of what they say.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrees View Post
As much as I hate to sound like a bad George Lopez joke, Home Depot is the place to be, and chances are you'll find someone that really knows their stuff...even if you can't understand much of what they say.
Ha! Unfortunately we don't have Day-Laborers hanging around HD like you guys do in the South.

I did have my neighbor help me the last couple of days. He is 90% deaf, so I can't hardly tell what he was saying 75% of the time. He did some good work though!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Ha! Unfortunately we don't have Day-Laborers hanging around HD like you guys do in the South.

I did have my neighbor help me the last couple of days. He is 90% deaf, so I can't hardly tell what he was saying 75% of the time. He did some good work though!
well Mr. Gardens, i agree. i live just a few hours north of you and have to use college kids like myself. Darn college kids, think we know everything lol.