Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-03-2010, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

need help with tire tracks in lawn

Hey I work out of tampa Fl and my john deere 717 ztr and the tire pressure is at 10 psi mow different path every time and still leaves tracks please help
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2010, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

10psi is kinda low but if you're leaving ruts you need to change to a lighter machine like a W/B during the raining season here.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
10psi is kinda low but if you're leaving ruts you need to change to a lighter machine like a W/B during the raining season here.
Thanks I have been looking for a new one.. I was told a dixie weights a lot less then mine. But u say a walk behind. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2010, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolan7 View Post
Thanks I have been looking for a new one.. I was told a dixie weights a lot less then mine. But u say a walk behind. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
What do you think about a lighter stander zts would that help some of my account would be a pain on a walk behind
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2010, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolan7 View Post
What do you think about a lighter stander zts would that help some of my account would be a pain on a walk behind
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a wright stander in 36 its ruts pretty good on soft or even semi soft properties around here. Does your deere have 24/12/12 shoes on the rear?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Tire tracks are not so serious an issue as ruts are. I dont think tire tracks justify getting rid of a mower. When I get tracks its usually if Im accelerating or decelrating to quickly or up hills (whenever the tires slip a little). A second option is to try some fresh hi lift or medium lift blades. The Kubota 72" we use used to leave tracks all the way down the stripe (looked like crap). Popped some fresh high lifts on and the grass still bends under the tires but does so like any good striping mower would. If the mower is leaving ruts though under pretty normal conditions for your area then dump it. You got to be able to mow when the weather is decent. Good luck
John Deer JA65
Shindaiwa T242
Sthil BG65
Husqvarna BP150
Old 07-04-2010, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Sold my Hustler miniz for the same reason. Now I cut with an upper-end John Deere tractor (Gt235) the cut is much better and no tracks. I lost some time, but the customers are thrilled. All of my accounts look great these days, and I can cut after a rain
Old 07-05-2010, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileboy View Post
Sold my Hustler miniz for the same reason. Now I cut with an upper-end John Deere tractor (Gt235) the cut is much better and no tracks. I lost some time, but the customers are thrilled. All of my accounts look great these days, and I can cut after a rain
I guess I'm gonna start running the toro 52 walk behind for a lil bit and see how it does I'm gonna loose a lot of time but I have to find a lighter ztr with some wide back tires been looking at a 44 dchopper. Thanks what do you all think of the dixie chopper I was told they are only about 850 pounds my deere is 1275 plus my 210
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2010, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been researching this same problem for over 2 years and think I've found the two zero-turn mowers that you could cut with most any time and on any lawn without rutting and tracking them into oblivion. The first is the Hustler fastrack super duty. The 42 inch model only weighs 675 lbs and is built like a mini-tank (military, not Cub). For larger properties, the only light weight 54" and up zero turn that I've found is the Deere z445 with high-capacity deck (54"). I know it's not listed as commercial, but it has alot of great features and only weighs about 760 lbs. Beyond those, most zero-turns are bloated and will destroy a soggy yard in a few passes. My Miniz would rut a soft clay yadr almost an inch on a single pass. Bad news.

Good luck with your search.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Its not really leaven ruts it laying the grass down and next week the grass is some what brown and dead looking where the tires are if that help you know what I mean
thanks
Posted via Mobile Device