Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford fanatic View Post
My Procat (54" 19hp Kawasaki) got delivered this morning along with a new Stihl 90r trimmer.
Alright, I'm officially jealous! Nice mower, lots of luck. I have heard that Bobcat owners love these mowers. Lots of luck and give us a little info on the cut and handling.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
Alright, I'm officially jealous! Nice mower, lots of luck. I have heard that Bobcat owners love these mowers. Lots of luck and give us a little info on the cut and handling.
Will do...grass cutting season in less than 2 months.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz2129 View Post
1973 IH Cub Cadet 1450 w/ 46" deck and hydraulic lift.
This is what I used to mow with at our first place, 5.5acres of land, 1.5 acre mowing.

When we bought our new place with 19acres, I picked up a 1984 JD 850 and 5' woods bush hog with 171 hours on it. It was bought new in '84, used for one season to mow my wife's sister in-law's grandparent's land, then parked in the barn when the grandfather got ill. It sat so long that the barn had settled so far that the exhaust stack would not clear the beams to get the tractor out and I had to deflate the front tires to get it to clear.

In the garden.

I have a 5' bushhog, 5' box blade, 9'x24" water filled packer/roller, 5' double row disc, along with a few home made implements that I use with the tractor.
I purchased a 6' finish mower for the tractor to mow the yard (about 6 acres) with, used it for two years and decided that 5-6 hours mowing was too long. So a year ago I picked up an eXmark Lazer Z, 72" Triton deck, and 31HP Vanguard.
On the way home.

It reduced my mowing time drastically. I also had a 1.5 acre yard dug in the front yard that brought my yard area down to 4-4.5 acres.

I added lights the other day so if I am running late in the evening I can finish up.

For clean up I have a Stihl MS250

My trimmer is a troy bilt trimmer/pole saw that I plan to replace with a stihl kombi 110 trimmer and pole saw set.
Hey Drum: Really nice ZTR. I have a little more land, about 45 acres and have been using a 6ft. bushhog behind a 65 pto JD (5420) I have 6 x 4 acre pastures for horses. I use a 48" JD lawn tractor for close in around house etc. I was thinking of getting a Woods 990 (90 inch cut -like a finish mower, but blades that will swing away like a bushhog) for my large open areas. A land / lawn care friend who has everything (Kubota ZTRs, Batwings etc.) told me he thought my acreage was too larger to ride a ZTR on. Would beat me up. Then I had another friend told me to sell all of my equipment and get a 72" ZTR. My finished area lawn is probably about 10 acres. Would really appreciate your thoughts.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

My new 2011 Gravely ZT42

Here's a few pictures of my new ride. 2011 Gravely ZT42. 22hp Kawasaki, 10 gauge fabricated deck, 2800 Hydros, hour meter, triple blades, 20in rear wheels. Decided on this over the Hustler Sport with Honda. On paper the Gravely came out ahead of the Hustler. Test drove booth and read alot of great things on the Hustler on this site. Not too much said on this Gravely, but I like to be different and blaze a new trail (or lawn).
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2011, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huling View Post
Hey Drum: Really nice ZTR. I have a little more land, about 45 acres and have been using a 6ft. bushhog behind a 65 pto JD (5420) I have 6 x 4 acre pastures for horses. I use a 48" JD lawn tractor for close in around house etc. I was thinking of getting a Woods 990 (90 inch cut -like a finish mower, but blades that will swing away like a bushhog) for my large open areas. A land / lawn care friend who has everything (Kubota ZTRs, Batwings etc.) told me he thought my acreage was too larger to ride a ZTR on. Would beat me up. Then I had another friend told me to sell all of my equipment and get a 72" ZTR. My finished area lawn is probably about 10 acres. Would really appreciate your thoughts.
How smooth will your finished lawn be? Will it mainly be open or will there be trees and landscaping to mow around? Will it be uniform and square or will everything have a more natural, random placing?

I would dread riding a ZTR to mow a pasture without a good suspension seat and maybe some sort of suspension like Ferris has. Part of my front yard was pasture when we bought the house. I have done some work on it to make it bearable. The 72" finish mower I had for my tractor did great in open areas. Closer to the house and shop and around all the trees it really slowed me down. I went from taking 5-6 hours to mow the yard area (about 6 acres) to 1.5-2 hours with the ZTR, both had the same size deck. I do have a lot of obstacles to mow around and the house does not sit square on the property so that makes for some less efficient mowing patterns. I also have a lot of 'hills' and slopes to follow, which were difficult to maneuver with the tractor and pull behind finish mower.

I would definitely keep the tractor and bush hog for pasture duty and look into a decent sized 60"+ ZTR to handle the 10 acres if you have it smooth enough. It saved me quite a bit of time.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 748eric View Post
Here's a few pictures of my new ride. 2011 Gravely ZT42. 22hp Kawasaki, 10 gauge fabricated deck, 2800 Hydros, hour meter, triple blades, 20in rear wheels. Decided on this over the Hustler Sport with Honda. On paper the Gravely came out ahead of the Hustler. Test drove booth and read alot of great things on the Hustler on this site. Not too much said on this Gravely, but I like to be different and blaze a new trail (or lawn).
This is a sharp mower, it looks well built and It certainly deserves to be looked at when shopping for a MZ or Sport! Thanks for posting and good luck with it!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 03-21-2011, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz2129 View Post
How smooth will your finished lawn be? Will it mainly be open or will there be trees and landscaping to mow around? Will it be uniform and square or will everything have a more natural, random placing?

I would dread riding a ZTR to mow a pasture without a good suspension seat and maybe some sort of suspension like Ferris has. Part of my front yard was pasture when we bought the house. I have done some work on it to make it bearable. The 72" finish mower I had for my tractor did great in open areas. Closer to the house and shop and around all the trees it really slowed me down. I went from taking 5-6 hours to mow the yard area (about 6 acres) to 1.5-2 hours with the ZTR, both had the same size deck. I do have a lot of obstacles to mow around and the house does not sit square on the property so that makes for some less efficient mowing patterns. I also have a lot of 'hills' and slopes to follow, which were difficult to maneuver with the tractor and pull behind finish mower.

I would definitely keep the tractor and bush hog for pasture duty and look into a decent sized 60"+ ZTR to handle the 10 acres if you have it smooth enough. It saved me quite a bit of time.
Really appreciate your comments. Pretty much what I thought, but it really helps to have someone who has made the switch. My 10 acres of yard are pretty smooth and flat. Now I just need to pull the trigger (find the money) on a ZTR.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huling View Post
Really appreciate your comments. Pretty much what I thought, but it really helps to have someone who has made the switch. My 10 acres of yard are pretty smooth and flat. Now I just need to pull the trigger (find the money) on a ZTR.
I have a 52" zero turn for my yard, but like the other guy, I would hate riding it in our field even it it was 72". Our tractor (John Deere 4120) is SOOOO much more comfortable in the field. We have a 72" finish mower attachment for it (pulls behind tractor). I would not try mowing a large field with a zero turn unless it was really super smooth.

The Italian built finish mower:

Old 03-21-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsagrass View Post
I have a 52" zero turn for my yard, but like the other guy, I would hate riding it in our field even it it was 72". Our tractor (John Deere 4120) is SOOOO much more comfortable in the field. We have a 72" finish mower attachment for it (pulls behind tractor). I would not try mowing a large field with a zero turn unless it was really super smooth.

The Italian built finish mower:

Thanks Lotsofgrass. I tend to agree. I have looked at the Woods 990 w/ 90 inch cut. My JD dealer (always high $) has quoted me $4400. I also looked at the Caroni 93" from AgriSupply for only $1729. I know the Woods is much more heavy duty, but I could buy 2 and a half of the larger Caroni finish mowers for what I could purchase one Woods. Lots of decisions.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post
Purchased the chipper in 2009. It was used and a couple of years old. It had been well maintained and garage kept.
Could you please tell me more about your chipper (make, model, specs, etc)? I've got an old MTD one (not running and not well taken care of) that the chute is the handle. I've never seen a smaller chipper with a hitch. I would love to find something like that. More pictures of it too please.

Ghost