Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-11-2011, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you just pick that up MS? Or is that retired?
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 06-11-2011, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought it new in 1999. It was my first quality mower. It's has a 16hp single cyl Vanguard, and a Tuff Torq K51 Transaxle. The deck went rotten 2 years ago, thus we got the Bad boy Pup. But I put a new deck on it. It's stays at my mother in laws to do her lawn. It's cheaper to run than the 30hp Kohler. I was over there servicing it before mowing her lawn. I was messing around with the camera, so I took a few pictures of it. I still love that mower. The deck is tuned in just fine. The Vanguard has plenty of power. With a nice sound to it. The K51 is smooth with a stick control. I have one of those knobs on the steering wheel that make turning slick. I bet that mower will go another 10 years or more. Oh! I started using Fluid Film as a deck treatment a couple of years ago. The under side is just as slick as a baby's butt! Good stuff!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS_SURVEYOR View Post
I bought it new in 1999. It was my first quality mower. It's has a 16hp single cyl Vanguard, and a Tuff Torq K51 Transaxle. The deck went rotten 2 years ago, thus we got the Bad boy Pup. But I put a new deck on it. It's stays at my mother in laws to do her lawn. It's cheaper to run than the 30hp Kohler. I was over there servicing it before mowing her lawn. I was messing around with the camera, so I took a few pictures of it. I still love that mower. The deck is tuned in just fine. The Vanguard has plenty of power. With a nice sound to it. The K51 is smooth with a stick control. I have one of those knobs on the steering wheel that make turning slick. I bet that mower will go another 10 years or more. Oh! I started using Fluid Film as a deck treatment a couple of years ago. The under side is just as slick as a baby's butt! Good stuff!
I had a Craftsman DYT 4000 with a 3 bin bagger and I loved that tractor. It worked great for fall clean ups, I kind of miss it sometimes. I saw a craftsman tractor at a yard sale last weekend and considered buying it just for my fall clean ups. I figure that a new bagger kit is going to cost $1500 bucks for the little Superduty, so I might aswell just get a used tractor with a bag kit if I can find one. I had thought about going back to a four wheel steering tractor like a John Deere or Cub Cadet, just because of the hi vac bagging system, but I still love a midmount ZTR and glad I bought the Hustler SD!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 06-16-2011, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Well it seems I am the only one on here that likes to use a walkbehind. I sold my 2005 Exmark Metro 15hp kohler with Trivantage A2 deck and bought an 2007 Exmark Metro 15hp Kawasaki with A3 deck (current deck on Metro Viking Turf Tracer S). The cut is signifigantly better(using the solid high lifts of my 05 and buildup under deck is signifigantly less). The Kawasaki still drops down to 3480 from 3600 in the deep stuff but just sounds better than the Kohler (single vs twin). I am very happy with the purchase even though cosmetically it is not as nice as the 05, but you buy what works and this just plain works for the property I have. It takes 50 minutes to trim, mow and blow a little over an acre. I am still wondering why everyone has jumped on the ztr bandwagon for less than an acre? Questions are welcome and appreciated
Attached Images

Echo SRM-2100 Trimmer
Echo PE-200 Edger
Earthway 2150 Spreader
1996 Simplicity 8-60 Sno-Away
Toro CCR3650E Single Stage
Excell 2700 P.S.I pressure washer
Old 06-16-2011, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I simply choose to ride. I consider myself fit enough to walk, but the southern humid and hot summers are brutal on me. I know I could mow in a different time of day, but the humidity is still brutal.

Kevin
Old 06-16-2011, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksc View Post
Well it seems I am the only one on here that likes to use a walkbehind. I sold my 2005 Exmark Metro 15hp kohler with Trivantage A2 deck and bought an 2007 Exmark Metro 15hp Kawasaki with A3 deck (current deck on Metro Viking Turf Tracer S). The cut is signifigantly better(using the solid high lifts of my 05 and buildup under deck is signifigantly less). The Kawasaki still drops down to 3480 from 3600 in the deep stuff but just sounds better than the Kohler (single vs twin). I am very happy with the purchase even though cosmetically it is not as nice as the 05, but you buy what works and this just plain works for the property I have. It takes 50 minutes to trim, mow and blow a little over an acre. I am still wondering why everyone has jumped on the ztr bandwagon for less than an acre? Questions are welcome and appreciated
Nice stripes and nice mower!

There are a few guys in here using a walk behind. AVguy is one that comes to mind. I had considered a walk behind and one point, I was looking at a quick 36, but opted for the rider. One reason is I like a rear catcher for fall clean up, a side aluminum catcher is not going to cut it for my fall clean ups. I also think that most homeowners would think that a walk behind might be a little complicated, even though it is easier than it looks, I think most folks just prefer the rider for the ease of use and I know another thing, when I get done working on a hot day, I just wanna ride! You do bring up a good point that a walk behind for under an acre is really the way to go, you can get way more machine for your money and you can always add a sulky!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 06-16-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
you can always add a sulky!
Good point. I wouldn't mind trying a walkbehind...but I have the ZTR now and I love it.

Kevin
Old 06-16-2011, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksc View Post
I use a walkbehind im with you i dont know why i allways see people use zmowers on these small yards and its the only mower on there trailer.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

It just seems we are only on here for one reason. We love lawn maintenance. I can definitely afford a rider, but why. I could get my lawn done in 15 minutes but why. It is my time away from it all and 50 minutes is just about right. Also a ztr will not do my swail in the back unless I go sideways then I am limited to a 44 or less and the stripes are not as impressive. I do not fault anyone for owning one I just feel you can get that better quality of cut from a walkbehind. I know I am splitting hairs and really qaulity of cut is subjective and we are really talking about degrees here. I loved my Scag and still believed it cut the best, but I was willing to compromise for ease of use and what works better on my property. Actually why I posted today was I saw my old Scag on sale in nj craigslist and even though the cut was superior the Exmark works better on my property. http://southjersey.craigslist.org/grd/2441955003.html. It really does come down to you have to try a lot before you find the right machine that best suits your needs. Capemay Eagle knows this as he has been through a few ztr's on his quest. I have great respect for a lot of people on here but also I think sometimes you have to take a lot of comments from a lot of people with a grain of salt (they have not tried everything and every property is different). It took me 7 walkbehinds to find the one that works best on my property in the last 2 years (yeah fanatical I know) and If I was going by qaulity of cut the Exmark and Toro Proline would not have made the list, but this new deck has made me a believer, but when you have the right tool for the job you look forward to doing that job, it does not matter if it is 150 degrees outside. here is some more eye candy. You will have to excuse me, I am half way through a wonderful bottle of wine.
Attached Images

Echo SRM-2100 Trimmer
Echo PE-200 Edger
Earthway 2150 Spreader
1996 Simplicity 8-60 Sno-Away
Toro CCR3650E Single Stage
Excell 2700 P.S.I pressure washer
Old 06-16-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't mind haveing a z if i had alot of flat open areas