Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-16-2011, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And allso do you walk all that?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

As far as the stripes go. Like I said it is about an acre mow in second gear.
Echo SRM-2100 Trimmer
Echo PE-200 Edger
Earthway 2150 Spreader
1996 Simplicity 8-60 Sno-Away
Toro CCR3650E Single Stage
Excell 2700 P.S.I pressure washer
Old 06-17-2011, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

If we didn't have the acreage to mow that we do, I would of looked at a walkbehind. But for me, doing 10 acres is a lot easier on a Z.
Poulan WildThing
Old 06-17-2011, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Marksc......nice property & stripes! I cut my 2 acres of Bermuda with an Exmark TTHP with a 20hp Kawasaki. I actually have a JD 2305 with a 62" deck that doesn't give a bad cut at all. If I get lazy I've got the Exmark stand-on sulkey, but I prefer to just walk it for 2 reasons - #1..... the stand-on leaves a stripe in the grass and #2....I stopped smoking a year ago this June & I swelled up like Tim Allen in the Santa Claus movie over the winter. So I've added the mowing to my exercise regimen & so far it's worked......I've gone from being obese to just plain fat.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksc View Post
It just seems we are only on here for one reason. We love lawn maintenance. I can definitely afford a rider, but why. I could get my lawn done in 15 minutes but why. It is my time away from it all and 50 minutes is just about right. Also a ztr will not do my swail in the back unless I go sideways then I am limited to a 44 or less and the stripes are not as impressive. I do not fault anyone for owning one I just feel you can get that better quality of cut from a walkbehind. I know I am splitting hairs and really qaulity of cut is subjective and we are really talking about degrees here. I loved my Scag and still believed it cut the best, but I was willing to compromise for ease of use and what works better on my property. Actually why I posted today was I saw my old Scag on sale in nj craigslist and even though the cut was superior the Exmark works better on my property. http://southjersey.craigslist.org/grd/2441955003.html. It really does come down to you have to try a lot before you find the right machine that best suits your needs. Capemay Eagle knows this as he has been through a few ztr's on his quest. I have great respect for a lot of people on here but also I think sometimes you have to take a lot of comments from a lot of people with a grain of salt (they have not tried everything and every property is different). It took me 7 walkbehinds to find the one that works best on my property in the last 2 years (yeah fanatical I know) and If I was going by qaulity of cut the Exmark and Toro Proline would not have made the list, but this new deck has made me a believer, but when you have the right tool for the job you look forward to doing that job, it does not matter if it is 150 degrees outside. here is some more eye candy. You will have to excuse me, I am half way through a wonderful bottle of wine.
You make a lot of good points Mark and the walk behind certainly does leave a nice cut with a deep stripe. I pushed the old Buntons and Toro's when I use to help my friend in who is in the business! I remember being intimidated at first when I tried a walk behind for the first time, but after two or three properties, I had it down. I remember the Toro had a T bar steering, I think that is what it was called, it was by far the most comfortable walk behind I ever used, I loved that machine. A walk behind is certainly good for lawns that a Z is just to heavy for! Defiantly an answer to getting rid of the turf tear on delicate grass! One of the reasons that most people do opt for the ZTR, is because they are trendy right now and people want to cut the yard quick, the world has gotten allot faster and people just want to get everything done yesterday! I have to say that about 90% of the people that come here for advice, pretty much have their mind made up, they just need help deciding. They have looked at a few Z riders and usually have it narrowed down to few machines.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 06-17-2011, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
You make a lot of good points Mark and the walk behind certainly does leave a nice cut with a deep stripe. I pushed the old Buntons and Toro's when I use to help my friend in who is in the business! I remember being intimidated at first when I tried a walk behind for the first time, but after two or three properties, I had it down. I remember the Toro had a T bar steering, I think that is what it was called, it was by far the most comfortable walk behind I ever used, I loved that machine. A walk behind is certainly good for lawns that a Z is just to heavy for! Defiantly an answer to getting rid of the turf tear on delicate grass! One of the reasons that most people do opt for the ZTR, is because they are trendy right now and people want to cut the yard quick, the world has gotten allot faster and people just want to get everything done yesterday! I have to say that about 90% of the people that come here for advice, pretty much have their mind made up, they just need help deciding. They have looked at a few Z riders and usually have it narrowed down to few machines.
Capemay, we discussed it in this thread earlier, you really enjoyed the t-bar, out of everything that I have tried I liked it the least ( I couldn't sell it fast enough). It was one of the easiest to use but the controls where to low for me, so it really does show that you really need to demo as many as you can before you plunk down the cash. I also know a lot of people get sticker shock when they go to a Power Equipment dealer and see a walkbehind lists for $4400 for a gear drive, and a ztr is about a grand more.
A/VGuy you have a great property and it with 2+ acres it still only takes you an hour and a half, and by walking it you really do know every square inch of your property.
Echo SRM-2100 Trimmer
Echo PE-200 Edger
Earthway 2150 Spreader
1996 Simplicity 8-60 Sno-Away
Toro CCR3650E Single Stage
Excell 2700 P.S.I pressure washer
Old 06-17-2011, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My pictures want upload:
Old 06-17-2011, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitts lawn care View Post
My pictures want upload:
Gotta make it smaller or maybe crop it! I have another camera that I love to use, but for some reason I have problems loading pictures from it, so I use Photobucket if I have pictures to upload from that camera. It is really simple to paste in a picture!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 07-07-2011, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anything new toys guys?
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 07-09-2011, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
Anything new toys guys?
Funny you should ask.........

My old Toro Recycler as well as my old 18" Homelite chainsaw are now on permanent loan to another lawnsite member. I replaced them with a Honda HRX217 & a Sthil MS250.