Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2010, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

93Chevy, I have not used a spindel driven on a zero turn. I have used one on my WheelHorse 416H rear bagger but NO not a zero turn. I am going to assume that they cost a lot more than $330 though. I have no doubt there are better systems out there. The question always comes back to price for a home unit. I only pick up a couple two or three times a year and this Accelerator just fit the bill for me. I do have to admit that they are better built than I thought it was going to be.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk50 View Post
Golfnut7 I went with the accelerator for 3 main reasons. All proved to be right. #1 Accelerator was only $370 shipped to my door. (called the factory and got a second) could not find any damage that I would complain about!
#2 The Accelerator is one item and easy to store, implement and use! I can't stress that enough! It is also VERY well made.
#3 I have had many rear baggers. I have never had one that did not plug / jam up at some time or another. I really felt that the longer tube of the rear engine zero turn would be a problem. Some guys use them with the right blade and grass without many problems but the rear bagger cannot be as efficient and the Accelerator.
The bag unit I had on my Hustler Mini fastrak was pretty good, it only jammed up on tall grass. My only problem with it was that it was to small for my fall clean ups.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 08-11-2010, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
93Chevy, I have not used a spindel driven on a zero turn. I have used one on my WheelHorse 416H rear bagger but NO not a zero turn. I am going to assume that they cost a lot more than $330 though. I have no doubt there are better systems out there. The question always comes back to price for a home unit. I only pick up a couple two or three times a year and this Accelerator just fit the bill for me. I do have to admit that they are better built than I thought it was going to be.
Gotcha, I understand the price issue. Most systems run a couple grand. They work VERY well though, you can't go full speed in thick wet grass, but regular mowing, when we bag around cars, mulch beds, etc, you can bag just about as fast as the area allows.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 08-12-2010, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Dunk50 - Thanks for the info - the Accelerator looks like a great option for half the price of the Hustler catcher. Are you using the standard blades or something different? When you are not using the catcher are you just using the side discharge or the mulching kit? I am leaning toward the Hustler Sport 42 with the Honda engine upgrade - just for home use only - about 3/4 acre of bermuda. My thinking is to go with the mulching option as much as possible and only use a catcher for fall clean-up or when the grass is really tall. I try to cut my yard every 4 to 5 days during the summer.
Golfnut7
Old 08-12-2010, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Golfnut, I am no professional. I was in your situation a few weeks ago. I mow my lawn about every 3 too 4 days. I have a half acre or so. I also thought about the mulching blades but so far I am very happy with the stock from factory ones. You are correct, when not using the catcher I just side discharge. As you can see from the photos I have a short wall and hedge around the yard so I am not too worried about not having the deflector on. I have mowed that way with my Wheelhorse for 19 years. I use the catcher the same way you do. Spring clean up, fall clean up and when I come back from vacaton. As far as the mulcher, I really don't know. I don't mulch or pick up and the Hustler blows the grass out the side so well, I do not get any grass in rows or laying on top. You would have to ask around about the mulcher but I have left more grass rolls laying on top with the mucher (on other mowers) than without it. Of course if the grass is real long it's a different story. As far as blades go I am happy with the factory stock ones. They pack the grass into the Accelerator very well. With a rear bagger I bet you would have to have the high lift. What I intend to do as I always keep a spar set is this. I am going to buy two high lift blades but only put one on the discharge side. That gives me two sets of one high lift and one stock. I read somewhere that this was a good way to go. I did go with the Honda and love it. It seems quieter, smoother with a lot less vibration. I did mow my sons 3/4 acre yesterday. He has a nice lawn in an upscale development and usually push mows with a Toro Super Recycler. He let it get away from him a little (nothing real bad) so I offered to mow it for him. I did not pick it up, I just blew it out the side discharge without the deflector and it looks great. I don't know what it is about the Hustler but it cuts soeee much better than my wheelhorse. Blade tip speed, deck, I don't know but lawn sure looks good. Enough rambling, any more questions I can answer feel free to ask. Paul
Old 08-27-2010, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bump.

Let's see them new mowers guys.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 08-27-2010, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon701 View Post
Here's my Cub Cadet. Still looking for a new ZTR.
Hello, did you know that cub cadet is now available in a zero turn that looks just like your old lawn tractor? The front wheels turn along with the rear wheels slowing down or speeding up (in respect to each other) just like a regular ztr. You don't have to worry about slopes with it. I think it may be just what your looking for....steering wheel and all! I think the one I saw was 4K.
Stan
Old 09-09-2010, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I got my new one!!

Link to my other thread (page 5)
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=324051&page=5

I cant say enough about it - although I have only 3.5 hours experience so far...

You don't even want to see my old Craftsman!
speaking of which, does anybody know how to resolve spark issues?

Ferris IS2000Z 52" / 25HP KAW

Jeremiah 29:11
Old 09-09-2010, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I actually posted some of these photos over in the Hustler thread but have no way of knowing if it worked due to that being a moderated site prior to posting. I will just post a couple of my changes and if anyone wants to know further you can ask and I can e-mail or post more. Don't really know how this site works yet. Added a Tiny Tach / hour meter, a hitch ball that is removable so I can still use the hitch drop pin attachments, a 15 gallon sprayer and an Accelerator grass catcher. Simplicity= pull a pin and the hitch ball comes off, sprayer just lifts on and off as channel is made for the bumper, Accelerator is lift on and off. Does not get any easier than this!
Where did you get the removable hitch ball? How sturdy/secure is it? I added a standoff on my ztr but it is only for a hitch pin. I'd like the option of using a ball
Old 09-09-2010, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Golfnut7 I went with the accelerator for 3 main reasons. All proved to be right. #1 Accelerator was only $370 shipped to my door. (called the factory and got a second) could not find any damage that I would complain about!
#2 The Accelerator is one item and easy to store, implement and use! I can't stress that enough! It is also VERY well made.
#3 I have had many rear baggers. I have never had one that did not plug / jam up at some time or another. I really felt that the longer tube of the rear engine zero turn would be a problem. Some guys use them with the right blade and grass without many problems but the rear bagger cannot be as efficient and the Accelerator.
Dunk, did you go with the 4.15 or 6.2 cubic ft Accelerator model?