Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2010, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

grass height

is it ok in ninety degree weather to cut my grass at height 3 1/2 and does mulching the lawn brown the lawn.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogg578 View Post
is it ok in ninety degree weather to cut my grass at height 3 1/2 and does mulching the lawn brown the lawn.
Most of the time if it's 90 the grass will already be browning,unless watered everyday. I tried mulching for awhile it did seem to brown in the heat. I went back to bagging.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Almost anything not watered often will be at least a little brown in the heat, but I think mulching would be better for the grass than bagging (nutrients returned to the soil). I side discharge a lawn cutting at about 4" to 4.5" and it's greener than many of the lawns in the neighborhood, which some are probably bagged.

If you want to do something easy to keep your grass green, raise the mowing height to 4" or more maybe 4.5" or 4.75". This way the grass gets scraggly by the end of the week and you have a reason to mow again.
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 07-09-2010, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We switched to mulching our southern turfgrasses 3 years ago. We only collect clippings on 5 lawns of our routes for the week. We are using the Exmark and Walker mower....the Exmark with the mulching kit and correct OEM blades for the system. We are mowing at 3 to 3.5 inches tall and do not get any browning of the grasses. The only time we ever got any browning is when the customer didn't water or the discharge was clumping on the grass. Either way, it is either too dry or you need to disperse the clippings more evenly.....................post blowing will help if the browning is too noticeable. The clippings are beneficial to the lawn.!! Sharp blades is a prerequisite to mulching grasses and keeping burn and browning down. We sharpen the blades every other day on our equipment. It makes a difference!!!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
We switched to mulching our southern turfgrasses 3 years ago. We only collect clippings on 5 lawns of our routes for the week. We are using the Exmark and Walker mower....the Exmark with the mulching kit and correct OEM blades for the system. We are mowing at 3 to 3.5 inches tall and do not get any browning of the grasses. The only time we ever got any browning is when the customer didn't water or the discharge was clumping on the grass. Either way, it is either too dry or you need to disperse the clippings more evenly.....................post blowing will help if the browning is too noticeable. The clippings are beneficial to the lawn.!! Sharp blades is a prerequisite to mulching grasses and keeping burn and browning down. We sharpen the blades every other day on our equipment. It makes a difference!!!!!
That's the problem,lots of people don't water like they should.