Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2010, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Important stuff your local Stihl dealer will never tell you but I will!

Was visiting with friends over the holiday weekend. I already knew they had a old tree once struck by lightning, that needed to be dropped. I always carry the Stihl 066 saw and the 130 Kombi system with saw attachment.

The 066 (with 20" bar) is old but still ran good until it tried to the tackle this 30"+ oak tree. I was able to cut a wedge out before it died, think something inside the engine broke off!

So, I pulled out the 130 Kombi motor (12" bar), put on a new chain & spent a good solid hour cutting little wedges of wood out of the tree. It was already leaning but ending up falling on part of the tree in the background, almost taking out the deer stand!

I must say, I'm very impressed with the "drillability" of this saw attachment...pushing the tip of the chain bar into the tree like a drill, then cutting side to side. No kick back at all. It was a fun little job and impressed the ladies

So if your wondering what size tree a Stihl Kombi can & will cut, wonder no more!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, that is one awesome tool.
I've got the 110 engine on it, and it still has plenty of power.
The ability to bore straight into a tree is pretty neat. I used it last, on a cherry tree about 16" in diameter. Had the trunk on the ground in just a few minutes.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I may have to get that attachment and give it a try someday. I was a little apprehensive about the Kombisystem at first because I've heard mixed reviews, but I went for it anyway. It'll cut through anything! I got the blade attachment for it and I've been clearing an area by my house, it takes down trees that are like 3" in diameter with ease. Ich liebe mein Kombisystem . hahaha
Old 07-09-2010, 03:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've sEen a beaver maker a straighter cut then that. I would cut my wrist with that saw before I chewed away at a tree for a hour using a saw in a dangerous manner. My 660 would have that down in no more then 90 seconds. That's the only saw I use anymore even if its for little 4" stuff. Makes your arms stronger!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2010, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
I've sEen a beaver maker a straighter cut then that. I would cut my wrist with that saw before I chewed away at a tree for a hour using a saw in a dangerous manner. My 660 would have that down in no more then 90 seconds. That's the only saw I use anymore even if its for little 4" stuff. Makes your arms stronger!!
Posted via Mobile Device
You must have HUGE arms then! Mine are 18inchs and I don't like to hold the 660 for that long. That's why they make 441,390,and 290s. It might make you stronger cutting trees,but your women would enjoy your back more if you use a smaller one sometimes.LOL