Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 07-19-2010, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I just replaced the clutch with a new one. It still does not work. There is 12.5 volts going to the pigtail when the switch is on. The new clutch has the same ohm reading as the old clutch so I am guessing the old clutch is still good. What gives? What am I missing?
As mentioned above, the pigtail could be your issue, did you replace it?

Pj
Old 07-19-2010, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here is what I have tried in more less this order:

Checked voltage to pto at pigtail connector on pto, 12.5 volts.

Tried a new pigtail as recommended by dealer mechanic, they said voltage reading may not tell the whole story. Still nothing.

Buy new pto, try with old and new pigtail. Still nothing.

Does the pto need more than 12 volts to engage? If so why is it not getting the extra voltage?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Here is what I have tried in more less this order:

Checked voltage to pto at pigtail connector on pto, 12.5 volts.

Tried a new pigtail as recommended by dealer mechanic, they said voltage reading may not tell the whole story. Still nothing.

Buy new pto, try with old and new pigtail. Still nothing.

Does the pto need more than 12 volts to engage? If so why is it not getting the extra voltage?
It really sounds like you have a ground issue some where, maybe a broken ground wire somewhere in the harness, or in a connector.
Without being there with a meter in hand testing it this is my best educated guess.

Pj
Old 07-22-2010, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

As has been mentioned, check for ground. Better yet, jumper ground straight to the clutch and see if it engages.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just to let everyone know it was a relay. There are 6 found under the control panel. I bought one and changed out each one and then tried the clutch out. I found the bad one on the 2nd try.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Just to let everyone know it was a relay. There are 6 found under the control panel. I bought one and changed out each one and then tried the clutch out. I found the bad one on the 2nd try.
Good to hear.

Pj
Old 07-28-2010, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Somethin' ain't right here. The relay supplies voltage, so if you had 12.5 volts at the clutch, the relay circuit was working.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okievarmint View Post
Somethin' ain't right here. The relay supplies voltage, so if you had 12.5 volts at the clutch, the relay circuit was working.
That's exactly the way I was thinking but apparently it does not work that way. I don't quite understand it.

Mowerconsultant: Could you explain this one to us.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okievarmint View Post
A relay can make enough contact to supply 12 volts under no load, but under load, the contacts have developed too much resistance and the voltage will drop. In other words, under load, it cannot pass the amps at the rated 12 volts. If he had measured the voltage at the clutch as it engaged he would have noticed a voltage drop. If he pops open the relay I bet the contacts are burned.

Ken
Old 06-14-2011, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

The clutch on my superZ quit the other day blew couple of fuses wound not engage. Friend said pigtail or new clutch but I only have 290 hours! Tried new pigtail no luck. Tested old pigtail getting 12volt power to both poles on the pigtail only 12volts to one side in the wiring harness coming from control panel. I cut apart the old pigtail and the (-) wiring connector inside the pigtail had rubbed a spot in the red wire. I put 12 volt and ground to prongs on clutch and it engages fine. I will pick up a new relay at the dealer today. It must not be getting enough voltage through the relay for the clutch to engage. Could it be anything else?