Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2010, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

What is a fair wage?

I am in the unfortunate position of having a grandmother who would like her entire front yard renovated...

She doesnt want a bid, she wants to pay me and my partner an hourly or daily wage and she will pay for the materials. We are technically a lawn care company so any equipment would be rented and covered by her.

I want to be fair, but I'm in college and need to make SOME money.

What is a fair daily wage (8 hour day) or a fair hourly man hour wage for this kind of job that the rest of my family should not be apauled at? What do you think is apropriate?

Thanks for any input!
John Deer JA65
Shindaiwa T242
Sthil BG65
Husqvarna BP150
Old 07-10-2010, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

I think since it's your grandma you should do it for milk and cookies!!

No, seriously - sounds like a lot is involved. I would charge her $25 -30. an hour per man, since she is paying for all the equipment. Is she expecting some kind of time frame?
Old 07-10-2010, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garden.nanny View Post
I think since it's your grandma you should do it for milk and cookies!!

No, seriously - sounds like a lot is involved. I would charge her $25 -30. an hour per man, since she is paying for all the equipment. Is she expecting some kind of time frame?
Here's the job in anutshell. To me it sounds like 20 man hours (just a bit more than me and my partner can do in a full day).

Remove brick edge. Remove current plants. Roto till entire area. Grade into her neighbors yard. re install brick edge. Install bushes and mulch. Plant grass.

All we would need is a roto tiller and the dirt mulch some more bricks etc.

Thanks for your input!
John Deer JA65
Shindaiwa T242
Sthil BG65
Husqvarna BP150
Old 07-10-2010, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would not charge my grandmother 25-30 per man hour. I would not charge my grandmother at all. You are obviously in a different situation being in college and needing to make money. Here is what I would do. Its your grandmother, charge her 15 bucks an hour....have her pay you cash and charge her whatever you pay your helper for your helper. That is what I would do if I was you. You make a little bit of money and you help your grandmother out at the same time.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
I would not charge my grandmother 25-30 per man hour. I would not charge my grandmother at all. You are obviously in a different situation being in college and needing to make money. Here is what I would do. Its your grandmother, charge her 15 bucks an hour....have her pay you cash and charge her whatever you pay your helper for your helper. That is what I would do if I was you. You make a little bit of money and you help your grandmother out at the same time.
Thanks! That was orignally my idea and wage. I wasnt planning on paying taxes or declaring this project. SORRY OBAMA! Some people in my family know very little about professional landscaping and thought 15 per man hour was ridiculous. HA!

Thank you both for the input. Hopefully theyll stop giving me a hard time about it!
John Deer JA65
Shindaiwa T242
Sthil BG65
Husqvarna BP150
Old 07-10-2010, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if either of my grand parents were alive, I sure wouldn't charge them.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

OK !!!So I'm a grandma hustler!!! I said that because my family will not let me do anything in their yards unless they pay me....I usually charge them half. And don't tell them exactly all the time it took me.

Now I'm going to go boil myself in hot oil......
Old 07-10-2010, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't do it at all if i could help it, most of the time family is a huge pita. If i do anything i just do it for free. It isn't worth hearing them b!T(h about it for the next decade. If i was to charge, I don't care if it was a dollar a hr it would be too high. Or, whatever i did for them would be wrong. Most of my family members are know it alls, but don't want to do anything for there self and if they aren't know it alls someone else that talks to them are.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why does anyone else in the family have to know what you are charging Grandma?That's between you and her,and none of their business.
If she's not poor, charge her your normal rate,I'm sure she would rather have the money go to her grandson than any stranger,you or your parents might be in her will and will get her money eventually anyhow,this way she can see what you do with her cash while she's alive.A lot of grandparents help their grand kids with tuition if they are able and this way she gets something in return from you.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbetterthanyou View Post
I wouldn't do it at all if i could help it, most of the time family is a huge pita. If i do anything i just do it for free. It isn't worth hearing them b!T(h about it for the next decade. If i was to charge, I don't care if it was a dollar a hr it would be too high. Or, whatever i did for them would be wrong. Most of my family members are know it alls, but don't want to do anything for there self and if they aren't know it alls someone else that talks to them are.
LOL most people in my family are know it alls....Your lawnsite name...cutbetterthanyou..