Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2010, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

So how I'am I going to compete against people working for free

Well that is what is happening here it has gotten to that stage of desparation.

The landscape suppliers are delivering soil etc for free just to make sales so it is costing them money sending a truck out with a driver. Now the building supply yards are delivering for free to make sales happen. Sending a tandem axle crane truck out with a load of lumber usually was a 100-120 dollar delivery charge not anymore there is no charge.

The gravel truck rate is also dropping if you want to work you will be making fuel and expenses no profit. The rate is at the point your just covering the cost of fuel.

Labour rates are also dropping if you want landscaping work better drop your rates to where you won't make a profit. Looks like being in the landscaping business is turning profitless again.

I can't compete with suppliers delivering for free that has never ever happened before it just shows you the sign of the times and the desparation.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

GR, didn't you find out when you were young - life is not fair? Sucks but remember that.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Its called cutting out the middle man. Bump the supply cost up a tad and deliver for free. They are not cutting themselves short, its called business.

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 07-10-2010, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Louisville KY mainly... I bounce from place to place.
Hey dude, I was totally serious about getting a job ona PSV/AHTSV with Maersk. They ARE hiring, and you can get out of HellHole British Columbia.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Good topsoil is 40-45 dollars a yard because of the costs to make it. The soil itself comes from dredging swampy areas so it has to be screened then it has to sit for a year to let the acids bleed out of it and dry the moisture out of it. Once its sat for a a year then it needs sand added to it and fertilizer along with lime. By the time all the processes and trucking the are done the supplier maybe making at most per yard is 10-15 dollars.

The cost for them to make a delivery is 1.5 hours of wages 30 dollars the cost of fuel for the truck 20 dollars so right off the bat they are loosing 50 dollars they had to buy a truck that would have been 40 grand.

Now with the building suppliers delivering for next to nothing or free deliveries now that is bad. Go into a jobsite with a tandem axle lumber truck and the driver gashes a supersingle steer tire there goes 1500 dollars for one tire.

If they want lumber sales they have no choice they have to offer free delivery. They are using a 100,000 dollar truck and not making any profit they are not even covering the fuel.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Hey dude, I was totally serious about getting a job ona PSV/AHTSV with Maersk. They ARE hiring, and you can get out of HellHole British Columbia.
This province is screwed I don't know where these employment stats come from saying things are improving

I feel bad for my brother his business is going down hill the companies he is working for are not paying their bills they are one step away from going under the ones he worked for in Vancouver are not hiring they are suffering from the bad economy they are barely making enough money to keep going.

The word of companies working for free is the final straw for me I can't be working for free no wonder I'am not getting sideline work.

A landscaper that works with me at the gov't said he is dealing with a new problem of baby boomer wives 45-60 year olds buying lawn mowers and getting into the landscaping. Just this year there was a big increase of these women getting into landscaping. They are driving the rates down and he is having troubles keeping the customers he has to the low ballers mowing lawns for 20-30 dollars.

What in the h*ll are you supposed to do when your getting people working for nothing or very little profit. Checking through the local rag and it is full of people looking for work with 10-14 dollar per hour doing construction or landscaping.

Last edited by Gravel Rat; 07-10-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Shut UP!!! You have no real problems, your "Business" is a hobby!!!

J.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Peterson Grading View Post

J.
You had me at shut up
Old 07-10-2010, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For $40 to 45 per yard I'll ship black dirt to Canada.

And not charge for delivery.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Peterson Grading View Post

J.

Once the gov't squashes the union I belong too my job will be gone so I have to become self-employeed again or find sombody to work for.

I would like to get another job sooner than later stress at my regular job is getting un-bearable. A person can only deal with so much then you snap or give you serious health problems like strokes and heart attacks which many previous employees have experienced. The guy I replaced ended up with a heart attack and numerous stress related problems. Guess what I'am experiencing the same minus the heart attack another employee suffered a mild stroke from being under stress.