Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2010, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Louisville KY mainly... I bounce from place to place.
Listen to this song, GR... Really calming.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dqVDQ-lF4Q

Oh, and I love how you used my Maersk comment, and used it for zip.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Listen to this song, GR... Really calming.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dqVDQ-lF4Q

Oh, and I love how you used my Maersk comment, and used it for zip.
To work on ships you need a lot of training I'am friends with a guy that used to work on freighters he says being at sea isn't the best life it is why he quit he makes more money working on coastal ships and he is home every week.

If I started on the towboats when I was in my 20s I could have gone for a skippers ticket. Now the towboat industry is dead but when it was good a deckhand would make 300 a day and your are out on the tug for a week at a time then go home.

Thinking about going to school to get my HD mechanics ticket that will take 5 years I would be 40 years old at the time I get my trade ticket. Schooling would be around 20 grand the big problem is finding a person to do apprenticeship under. I know one guy but he wouldn't beable to pay me thou not enough work to have a person being paid.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont get what your stressing about? Trying running a real , legitimate business where you have machine payments monthly, vehicle payments, fuel payments, employees, phone bills, insurance, taxes, putting money out for jobs and then waiting minimum 30 days after you completed to get paid for the work. And go out and find the work to keep all those bills paid, and then at the same time have to deal with low ballers. You dont even know the begining. What are you stressing about, Mom didnt buy rice krispies this week for you? When life gives you lemons make lemonade.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Lets put it this way how would you like to deal with verbal abuse from the public every day. You know how people hate RCMP Police the same hate is directed to us. If you don't have a thick skin you wouldn't last at the job where I work.

You have people screaming at you and trying physically assault you on a daily basis and belittling you every which way they can and calling you all kinds of names. There is so many freaking fruitcakes out there I'am really worried I will have a gun pulled on me one day. Woman are the worst that have lost it they get so mad they are screaming at the top of their lungs they want to kick you in the nuts.

I had some 70 year old man try take a swing at me I said to the old phucker go ahead.

The verbal abuse you get on a daily basis is the biggest stress and you can't do anything about it. I have had a person follow me to my office and I had to lock the door I was worried for life.

Working with the public is tough they hate gov't employees and want to see you fired and think you are the stupidest person on the planet.

Yep lots of fun it has gotten bad enough we need to wear a panic button that alerts the RCMP if we get in trouble and a police car is dispatched

Last edited by Gravel Rat; 07-11-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can't you just suck on the parents tits, why're you worried about money? Not like you have to worry about paying for a girlfriend.

And on the cost of soils, clearly you have no clue what the hell you're talking about most suppliers make 25%-50% on bulk materials. And that's not including the profit they make if they create it themselves. If there is one industry I know inside and out it's bulk materials, soils etc hence my name. Hopefully next year I'll have my own retail spot. The average delivery costs a company 25 bucks or less for a 3 ton and not much for a tandem.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Lets put it this way how would you like to deal with verbal abuse from the public every day. You know how people hate RCMP Police the same hate is directed to us. If you don't have a thick skin you wouldn't last at the job where I work.

You have people screaming at you and trying physically assault you on a daily basis and belittling you every which way they can and calling you all kinds of names. There is so many freaking fruitcakes out there I'am really worried I will have a gun pulled on me one day. Woman are the worst that have lost it they get so mad they are screaming at the top of their lungs they want to kick you in the nuts.

I had some 70 year old man try take a swing at me I said to the old phucker go ahead.

The verbal abuse you get on a daily basis is the biggest stress and you can't do anything about it. I have had a person follow me to my office and I had to lock the door I was worried for life.

Working with the public is tough they hate gov't employees and want to see you fired and think you are the stupidest person on the planet.

Yep lots of fun it has gotten bad enough we need to wear a panic button that alerts the RCMP if we get in trouble and a police car is dispatched
I would be getting out of that job right quick! No way would I be staying there, I would be moving to another part of the country or another part of the world so I could get a job that was not life threatening. Dude come to the US, Obama will take care of you here. LOL
Old 07-11-2010, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Recycling, what GR does best

Oh boo-hoo What a cry baby. Harden the **** up!

GR if there's one thing you're good at it's recycling. Recycling the same old excuses and complaints!

Rule #1 amongst many in business. If you are in a crowded niche get the feck out! It'll just be a race to the bottom and you'll waste your time, money and life.

If you want to run a business successfully and profitably, find a service that people want that no-one else provides and provide it. I've done that four times in my 30 years of self employment. In each business I made money running the business and then I made even more money selling it I also made sure I enjoyed what I did, that's important.
And I currently run 3 businesses that are in uncrowded niches as well. For example in one business I have a JCB 1CX which is like a medium sized skidsteer and 2 tonne mini ex in one package. I can do certain jobs more cheaply and efficiently than someone who needs to bring a separate skidsteer and mini ex to a job. And make money too.

And don't forget it takes years to establish your own business and no-one likes a whinger. So stop your complaining. If you complained just once about the state of anything to any customer you're dead in their eyes. They know you haven't got the balls to stick at anything so they won't get you again. I know I wouldn't.
Oh, and before you make the excuse there's always an opportunity right in front of you but you can't see it if you would rather whinge.

Success or failure, it's all up to just you!

Last edited by Charles; 07-12-2010 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Language
Old 07-11-2010, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ya, know being a capitalist myself I would do the same, deliver for free to make a sale It's business. Going forward the guys that are going to make it in the coming economic years are the ones who are lean, low or no debt, no huge machine and massive truck payments, no massive insurance premiums for prior damage or accidents.
To compete with this issue You need to change the way you are operating. You are leaving money on the table When you spec out a job Why are the customers ordering the material? how is that taking place? are the materials not listed on contract? if not why not. If you can't change that for what ever reason and you can't recover that lost percentile elsewhere in all your work and you are only earning expense's and if that doesen't immediately change like right this second then your done and just don't know it. lower the threshold of your profit mark. By loosing your debt and cutting overhead using paid for equipment, Business that are not saving and banking at least 15 20% of every invoice are dead the operators just don't know it. You think its bad now just wait. On every invoice their is a hidden line item or their should be, it's called profit it needs to be taken and saved to grow if that line item is not their then why are you even bothering to get out of bed
Old 07-11-2010, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

How bout the legit business that asks how he is gonna compete against a guy who works for the government and lives in his parents basement and rides around in his f450 as his daily driver and delivers materials part time for peanuts.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have also never met anyone that thought they would make a career out of hauling with an f450 or f550. You need a ten wheeler, tri axle, or trailer dump to haul materials. How much money per yard do you thing you can charge delivering 6 yards of loam anyways. a 450 or 550 is a truck for contractors to use not a trucking company