Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-11-2010, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Heck since everyone is working for free it will not be much longer before they all go out of buisness and you will be the only one left. You will then have a monopoly and can name your own price!!!!! I would be excited!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
To work on ships you need a lot of training I'am friends with a guy that used to work on freighters he says being at sea isn't the best life it is why he quit he makes more money working on coastal ships and he is home every week.

A lot of training? To work on deck? I highly doubt it. I mean, how hard is it to pull levers, run a small crane, pull chains,cables, hook hooks, swivels and other qeuipment?

And yes, I've worked on a tug. Not and AHTSV, but a tug, on the ocean, and I worked on a river tug here too.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAust View Post
Oh boo-hoo What a cry baby. Harden the feck up!

GR if there's one thing you're good at it's recycling. Recycling the same old excuses and complaints!

Rule #1 amongst many in business. If you are in a crowded niche get the feck out! It'll just be a race to the bottom and you'll waste your time, money and life.

If you want to run a business successfully and profitably, find a service that people want that no-one else provides and provide it. I've done that four times in my 30 years of self employment. In each business I made money running the business and then I made even more money selling it I also made sure I enjoyed what I did, that's important.
And I currently run 3 businesses that are in uncrowded niches as well. For example in one business I have a JCB 1CX which is like a medium sized skidsteer and 2 tonne mini ex in one package. I can do certain jobs more cheaply and efficiently than someone who needs to bring a separate skidsteer and mini ex to a job. And make money too.

And don't forget it takes years to establish your own business and no-one likes a whinger. So stop your complaining. If you complained just once about the state of anything to any customer you're dead in their eyes. They know you haven't got the balls to stick at anything so they won't get you again. I know I wouldn't.
Oh, and before you make the excuse there's always an opportunity right in front of you but you can't see it if you would rather whinge.

Success or failure, it's all up to just you!
Very good advice.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
Can't you just suck on the parents tits, why're you worried about money? Not like you have to worry about paying for a girlfriend.

And on the cost of soils, clearly you have no clue what the hell you're talking about most suppliers make 25%-50% on bulk materials. And that's not including the profit they make if they create it themselves. If there is one industry I know inside and out it's bulk materials, soils etc hence my name. Hopefully next year I'll have my own retail spot. The average delivery costs a company 25 bucks or less for a 3 ton and not much for a tandem.
No doubt, there is money in materials! Some day I want a gravel/sand pit.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GR. Sell your 450, it is way too small to make money hauling aggregates. Buy a good used very heavy semi (25-35k) and then buy a good used tri-axle end dump. 35ft box. (45k) Then move to where the farms are where you can haul agriculture products. Where Ron works. All those dairy farms need trucks to haul silage back to the pits. Haul corn to the elevators, haul feed from the mill back to the farm. Haul snow, haul anything. Hauling grain is the greatest money maker out there. We paid for our semi and 40ft end dump in 1 year hauling corn. You can charge 7-12$/tonne and it only costs you 2-5$/tonne. Less if you are driving it yourself, my costs include paying an operator. Do that for a few years and you'll be laughing. The only stable industry left in North America is agriculture. Take advantage of that.

Warren

Old 07-11-2010, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerknowsbest View Post
GR. Sell your 450, it is way too small to make money hauling aggregates. Buy a good used very heavy semi (25-35k) and then buy a good used tri-axle end dump. 35ft box. (45k) Then move to where the farms are where you can haul agriculture products. Where Ron works. All those dairy farms need trucks to haul silage back to the pits. Haul corn to the elevators, haul feed from the mill back to the farm. Haul snow, haul anything. Hauling grain is the greatest money maker out there. We paid for our semi and 40ft end dump in 1 year hauling corn. You can charge 7-12$/tonne and it only costs you 2-5$/tonne. Less if you are driving it yourself, my costs include paying an operator. Do that for a few years and you'll be laughing. The only stable industry left in North America is agriculture. Take advantage of that.

Warren
very good advice.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 07-11-2010, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
very good advice.
and AG is going nowhere, thats job security.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't understand how a guy who works a government job, lives with his parents, has a side business as a hobby , doesn't pay insurance or taxes , lives in a beautiful piece of gods country can complain, and whine and be so negative . Honestly every 3 days you make a new post about how bad your situation is . No one cares
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2010, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your in your 30's, live with your parents, never a woman, you should have some serious money saved. If I lived with my parents all my life, never drank, never fooled with women ect, I know damn well I would be semi retired by 40, even making modest money. So what the hell are you doing with all of it? You should be able to buy trucks with cash, and your talking about loans. Your screwing up something or there is more to the story...
Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Farmers here haul their own feed with big ass tri-axle trailers and blow the silage in with those insane Class Harvesters.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96