Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2010, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Not sure what is going to happen things are worse than the recession we had in the 90s.

My job is on the line no job is safe from the axe along with this gov't we have they want to get rid of every gov't operated jobs and privatize it out to the cheapest bidder.

It happened to the highways dept years ago the highways maintenance was done by gov't employees the gov't put the work out for bids and large private companies do the work. School districts are seeing their funding slashed so teachers and school board employees like Janitors and maintenance dept are going to loose their jobs.

The job I have now used to be a job you could work at for 30 years and retire with a pension the BC gov't is putting a end to that.

And by the way I have a choice live in a tent or live in my parents basement I will take the basement. Places to rent is pretty much non existant any place that is listed for rent is a piece of crap that nobody wants to rent. I may end up paying my parents rent I guess it will be the going rate in the area of 1000 a month. The going rental rate is 1200 a month the lowest is 800 a month that doesn't include electricity.

There is still people renting out 16 foot travel trailers for 400 a month and you live in the back yard of a person house. You crap in a outhouse and shower with a garden hose.

Ohwell the way it goes when you live in a province that depends on natural resource sales. Logs Gravel and Fish make our economy operate and all three have been totally distroyed because of the gov't.

If it wasn't for loggers you wouldn't have toilet paper to wipe your azz with or the paper you write on and if it wasn't for commercial fishermen you wouldn't have fresh fish to eat. People from a city like Vancouver have no clue what it takes to have the stuff they use everyday available to them. If it wasn't for the logging on coastal BC there would be no houses in Vancouver if the coastal gravel mines didn't operate there would be no sky train or pavement for the roads.
you know i wasnt gonna say anything , but this just bugs me .....your bitching about those prices ? dude WTF do you waste your money on??????????

i pay 1000 bucks a month for a two bed room duplex , i pay electric and its electric heat too , cable tv cable interent , diesel for my truck , my cells ,and everything else my girl just pays for the food and my daughters things cause really thats all her check will cover ........but anyway thats with me making 18hr .....so your telling me your gov't job pays least then that ?????

i dont get it , you live at home , make good money , single , and your choices are a tent or your rents basement?????.............come on really !!!!!!!! if its that bad, which i find hard to belive then get off you ma mas titty and move !!! you got nothing holding you there...........

maybe if you explained things about why you have this black cloud over your head , instead of bitching about this guy or my buddy said this or i heard from this guy , maybe everyone wouldnt be mad with your posts , they go no where, its like a black hole these threads , and now that ive been sucked into it im done
Old 07-12-2010, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quick some one throw Jimmy Jack a rope! Pull him out!

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 07-13-2010, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
I'am glad that I don't have the same problem my brother does who owns a house that there is no market for unless he takes a 100,000 dollar loss. He could buy a house because he made more money than I do not anymore. Again with the resouce industry in the toilet there is no demand for steel fabricators. He used to make easy 5 grand a month now with this recession he is lucky to make 2 grand a month. If he tries to sell his house now he will be still in debt for 150,000 dollars or more.

Realestate has dropped there is very little market for it people are paying on houses that are worth less value.

As for my money situation I have a steady paycheck but my take home pay isn't that great. Pumping most of it into the company pension which I have probaby 20 grand or more into. When I retire in another 30 years from now there won't be any Canada Pension or Old age pension left.

There are many people in this area that are deep into debt some excavation contractors are 3/4s of a million in debt. Most of these guys are not making 20 grand a month to pay their bills. Equipment payments are 15 grand a month alone.
I hear people ***** about this a lot. The house hasnt changed . Just because someone told him his house is worth less money dosnt mean he shouldnt like his house less then when he was told it was worth big bucks. Its still the same damn house. If he dosnt have to sell , then its a non issue. If he has to sell then its worth less , just like the new one he will be buying.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My comment got removed
Old 07-13-2010, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

perhaps find something better to do than haul dirt around in a pickup?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started an online petition to have GR shmitcanned a while back, but it was removed. Probably just as well. I take some of his stuff personally being from the same part of the world. But my biggest issue is......I am is NOT a contraction!
Old 07-13-2010, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

The Liberal gov't has a new thing now that the Native Indian bands get priority on Timber sales so any Timber rights are going to the Native indian bands. You will see companies like Interfor etc having a tough time getting any work. The cost of lumber will go up because there will be a monopoly on logs.

Any new mines or land development also has to be approved by the indian band before you can do anything. It is the Liberal gov't way of settling treaty agreements.

As for the people working for free or low wages it is just the way it goes not much you can do about it. The Liberal gov't will see lots of businesses go under this year because of their stupidity. Where I work I get to talk to poeple in All industries that are in this province from contruction to office workers.

Some of these contractors I talk to and know are no mini excavator and bobcat operations. They own 1-2 million dollars worth of equipment they have 10-20 employees. These guys are hurting from the bad economy and the mistakes the gov't is making. How would you like to own a million dollars worth of equipment and it is barely working because the lack of work. H*ll these guys expenses per month is what some of you make all year. One of the contractors has 4 35 ton road builder excavators sitting because there is no logging. When those machines are working they are making 3500 dollars per machine each day.

One of the blasting contractors his little drill rigs are 250,000 each they are not working much because the contruction work is bad. When there is work those drill rigs are making 400-500 dollars per hour.

The gravel demand for the Washington state has dropped off there used to be 4-5 barges from the the states hauling 15,000 tons worth of gravel the Seattle every week. California used to be taking million ton per year now they may take 30,000 tons in a year.

So you guys with a skid steer or a mini excavator really don't have a clue what being worried about work is your equipment payments are not 10-15 grand a month.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you live in your moms basement!

SOLO OPERATION
Old 07-13-2010, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearmtnmartin View Post
I started an online petition to have GR shmitcanned a while back, but it was removed. Probably just as well. I take some of his stuff personally being from the same part of the world. But my biggest issue is......I am is NOT a contraction!
I don't even remotely live close to you so you maybe busy in your area but it isn't busy where I'am. The work in septic system installation has dropped of guys are fighting over the work.

I looked at the pictures you posted yes you do nice jobs but you sure have easy conditions to work in. You should see where the guys work that you went to poo school with drain fields and septic systems are not that easy.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So move to where the work is. Its not that hard. I know a few septic guys up there, and they all seem to be working. One guy travels quite a bit. I do that to when I need to. Any you are right, I live in the Fraser Valley and I am the sand mound king. Big pile of sand in a farmers field. But for every two of those, I do one on the side of a mountain somewhere, because hey, a valley is by definition surrounded by mountains. I have actually hand dug a type three in because I couldn't get a machine to the site. But mostly my criteria for accepting a job is will I make money. If the cash is there I will do it. I don't take on tough jobs for bragging rights, but I will put one in with a plastic spoon if it pays.