Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2010, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearmtnmartin View Post
So move to where the work is. Its not that hard. I know a few septic guys up there, and they all seem to be working. One guy travels quite a bit. I do that to when I need to. Any you are right, I live in the Fraser Valley and I am the sand mound king. Big pile of sand in a farmers field. But for every two of those, I do one on the side of a mountain somewhere, because hey, a valley is by definition surrounded by mountains. I have actually hand dug a type three in because I couldn't get a machine to the site. But mostly my criteria for accepting a job is will I make money. If the cash is there I will do it. I don't take on tough jobs for bragging rights, but I will put one in with a plastic spoon if it pays.
Hey bearmtnmartin. If you ever could use a spider excavator for one of those jobs where you couldn't get another machine, give me a shout. I live in Victoria near the ferries and can be there in a few hours.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

does anybody no what this ultra stress government job is that he works is? theres prenty of work in this province theres places that have it way worse than us, move off of the sunshine coast, go to work and grow up
Old 07-13-2010, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearmtnmartin View Post
So move to where the work is. Its not that hard. I know a few septic guys up there, and they all seem to be working. One guy travels quite a bit. I do that to when I need to. Any you are right, I live in the Fraser Valley and I am the sand mound king. Big pile of sand in a farmers field. But for every two of those, I do one on the side of a mountain somewhere, because hey, a valley is by definition surrounded by mountains. I have actually hand dug a type three in because I couldn't get a machine to the site. But mostly my criteria for accepting a job is will I make money. If the cash is there I will do it. I don't take on tough jobs for bragging rights, but I will put one in with a plastic spoon if it pays.
And now the rules for a legal septic feild are being relaxed, now a home owner can legally install their own system as long as they hire an engineer to sign off on it and take lots of pictures of how it was put in, and also make sure it's further than "XXX" amount of distance from wells and other water sources, but no more hiring people with BCOSSA tickets and $30,000+ treatment feilds. Good news for the smaller guys like me!

http://www.bcossa.com/jv/index.php/news

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 07-13-2010, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Talking with another employee said wait till next year if the economy picks up then start looking.

One of the septic contractors here rolled his excavator working on a jobsite digging a septic tank hole it required blasting a hole for the septic tank and the trench to the tank. You can't use a rubber tired backhoe on 90% of the septic jobs. A excavator no bigger than 9 ton is used because you are in cramped areas plus your crawling the machine down decent slopes or up slopes. Most septics you have to pump the water to the field one place the field is 1000 feet away from the septic tank.

The last septic job I worked on which I mentioned before we used 3 pallets of infilterators I think there was over 200 infiltrators I didn't count them. The septic tank holds over 15,000 gallons (imperial).

A couple of the contractors here have put in septic systems that are 150,000 dollars there is 50,000 dollars just in parts on some of these drain fields.

Now people are going with the peat moss system because they have no place for a leech field. When you have a bald rock with no dirt or soil on it you need to use a peat moss system or haul in 300 ton of gravel to make a raised bed field.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Same thing that we do for septics in Northern Ontario.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
And now the rules for a legal septic feild are being relaxed, now a home owner can legally install their own system as long as they hire an engineer to sign off on it and take lots of pictures of how it was put in, and also make sure it's further than "XXX" amount of distance from wells and other water sources, but no more hiring people with BCOSSA tickets and $30,000+ treatment feilds. Good news for the smaller guys like me!

http://www.bcossa.com/jv/index.php/news
That hasn't really changed much. You could always put your own system in if an engineer supervised. The trouble is that they charge 3000 plus for the privlege. And I would guess an AP like me either would say forget it-why should I sign off on someone elses work?- or charge like an engineer.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

god your threads get confusing ..you bounce all over the place , u started with hauling gravel in your 450 doesnt pay , to now septics ........

hey so whats this gov't job pay , whats your salary ?????
Old 07-13-2010, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Louisville KY mainly... I bounce from place to place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjack View Post
god your threads get confusing ..you bounce all over the place , u started with hauling gravel in your 450 doesnt pay , to now septics ........

hey so whats this gov't job pay , whats your salary ?????
He said $32 an hour... And he complains?
Old 07-13-2010, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
He said $32 an hour... And he complains?
And he said he only has 20k in retirement. I would really love to see this guy's budget, must blow alot off coin. First thing he needs to do is sell that stupid 450 and get a regular truck and realize you cant have a side buissnes with a pick up. What he wants to do is what the crack heads and drunks do around here for money, haul brush and junk for people. Sell the truck and save your money GR you will get farther ahead
Old 07-13-2010, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if i lived in moms basement i could literaly save 5-7g a month.

SOLO OPERATION