Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Grasshopper maintenance

I bought a Grasshopper 1210 ZTR off of Craigslist and it worked fine for the first couple of uses. However, the blade belt bound up and had to be replaced, now the replacement seems to be wearing unduly fast. I tried adjusting the tension, but it still seems to get very hot within 10 minutes of running. Also, the hydros seem to be operating erratically. Sometimes the left side can't keep up with the right and then the opposite. I checked with the local dealer on what to put in the hydros and they told me for the old style that is used in this model to just use straight 30W motor oil. I'm using this to mow trails which are not the smoothest. As I said earlier, it really worked well for the first couple of times. When I go out, it's usually for a couple of hours at a time. Although today it didn't even last 1 hour before I started to notice a smell that made me check the blade belt (again) and that's when I noticed that a fine black powder was being created. I stopped mowing and drove it back. I adjusted the belt tensioner about 1/2" and when I went back out, the motor started to bog while cutting. I've done a search on the web for this model and can't find anything useful. It was only made in 1985 & 6. I've never had a ZTR before and don't want to do more harm trying to resolve these issues. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

[totally off topic...]

When I saw this thread, I thought it was going to be about grasshoppers. You know, those small, jumpy creatures.

I've never seen as many grasshoppers as this year. We always have hundreds of them in our hay fields. But this year we have millions. I had dinner last night with a friend who has a ranch about 60 miles away, and he said they were as thick as he's ever seen. I have no idea why, but we got grasshoppers galore in Texas this year.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I think this video may shed some light on the grasshopper population in TX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

As far as Hawken's question, hopefully someone will come along and shed some light on his quandary.
Trouble Sleeping
Sleep Apnea
Annual Weight Gain
Job Burn out
Showing Early Signs of the Old Man Get off My Lawn Syndrome
180,000 Miles on my Truck, but no Money to Buy a New One.
Now Looking at Mothers in the Grocery Store and not Daughters

Tags
grasshopper , hydros , zero turn mower