Register free!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
A co worker that I worked with in plumbing has used it on 4" pipe. He said it worked really good.

Did he use a loaf of bread THIS BIG?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Caution - Pressure buildup may dislodge the plug. Take care not to position yourself directly in front of the piping where the water stopper is being inserted.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got called out to a job a few years back. The owner said she had someone else come out to fix a leak at the D/C, but she said they would not come back. She said she had low pressure on half of her house and they said it was not their problem. When I got there I asked her about the co. and she didn't think too much of them. She said they kept asking her for some bread and all she had was multigrain and she said they seemed to be offended. I cleaned out the aerators on the faucets and all was well.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes , should be mentioned that white bread is what you want, no crust either.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Dana

I meant the bread trick.

BTW, I *had* to use 12-grain bread once and it worked. I pulled out the sunflower seeds. The rest held fine.

To others: after using the bread trick, flush it out by opening the closest hose bib, or closest faucet COLD WATER ONLY with the strainer removed.
Oh geez, I'm new to this forum... this reminds me of one of my imbicile workmen stuffing whole grain bread into the water line from the meter to the house as we repaired it. (Water Co. imstalled new meter boxes right on top of the PVC... one lawn mower and snap).

Had to replace to faucets, waterline to fridge and all accoutrements, etc... what a FUBAR.

i'm glad it's not just me.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You only *need* a ball of bread slightly larger than the pipe diameter. Flush clear to closest spigot or faucet WITHOUT the aerator screen in place.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, bread works good. Just make sure your guys don't use flour tortillas.
I've also used balloons on irrigation mainlines and discharge lines. Balloon either comes out at a head or gets hung up in a valve.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think it would work to well on pvc or poly pipe - anyone try it out on this stuff?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not do PVC, cannot answer. Although I figure PVC needs to be dry for the glue to work? Is there a PVC glue that would work on PVC with water drizzling out?

But it *could* work on poly, although I don't know why you would need it. Poly fittings do not need to be dry to go together.

Either way, maybe a big matzo ball would work on the big pipes.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Glad someone mentioned the jet-swet, the freezing thing looks too easy to break and I don't want to worry about the cartridges.

I don't own a jet-swet, but about 2 months ago I REALLY wish I had one. I had cut out a section of the copper house supply to replace the main shut-off for the house and to install a tee and valve for the valves. Well, it turns out the 50 year old valve street shutoff was faulty and would let enough water to go by to stop my solder from getting hot. "No problem" I thought, nothing a little sourdough can't solve. WRONG. The water would boil up and stop my solder from getting hot. "Great, now I have a customer with no water!", man was I cussing up a storm. I thought through all my options and then I remembered those shark-bite fittings. So I went to home cheapo to pick up a shark-bite tee and then I installed it. Problem solved. I don't know what I would have done 4 or 5 year ago when shark-bite fittings weren't around. I normally am anti home depot but man was I glad to get that problem solved!

So, I think I might stock a jet-swet in my tool kit fro now on. You can buy them individually online which is quite handy.

*EDIT* Oh, never use paper towel as a temporary stopper. I have another story about that one which I'm a little embarrassed about. Lets just say, it resulted in the customer having no hot water due to a clogged water heater inlet. Fixed that one too. I swear I'm part plumber! Sometimes, learning the hard way is the best way.

Last edited by Cloud9Landscapes; 07-16-2010 at 03:16 AM.