Register free!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Low Pressure...go figure.

Just visited a new customer today and contrary to my other post where I had a high pressure concern, this customers pressure is very low.

The house is kind of old, build in the early 60's. I could not find a water meter anywhere in the house or on the property grounds. She lives on an island and according to her husband (who she had to phone) they are on city water.

The pipes are in the walls, in the basement. There is a small access panel to get to the main shut off valve but thats it. From what I could tell it looks like 3/4" copper supply line. As it exits the top of the wall in the basement (the ceiling is unfinished) you can see where it splits to supply the various parts of the house. After I checked the static pressure in the system, which is 42 psi, I checked the flow through the hose bib. Was getting about 5-6 gpm. from a very weak and thready flow.

I am going to try and return to the house tomorrow to see if i can track down a pressure regulator.

The property is about 1.25 acres, and they are going to need a lot more water than what is there.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

talk to the purveyor
Old 07-12-2010, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ran into one today with the same 42 psi. But it's on a well and has a pressure tank. I told her to get a plumber or pump/well guy to change whatever to get more pressure. PVB dumps water when the valves open up and before the laterals pressurize. Makes it worse that the system has auto drains.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

trace the line with a 521/pro-700, if it's copper you should find the meter or the main, follow boots's advice also.

best of luck
Old 07-13-2010, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Ran into one today with the same 42 psi. But it's on a well and has a pressure tank. I told her to get a plumber or pump/well guy to change whatever to get more pressure. PVB dumps water when the valves open up and before the laterals pressurize. Makes it worse that the system has auto drains.
Take the cover off the pressure switch and crank it up a few turns. Close the discharge side ball valve on the pvb 1/4 way.