Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 07-14-2010, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

2008 Hustler Mini Z 52" deck adjustment

How can I check my deck to make sure it is adjusted properly? I hate when I am cutting a well kept yard and I keep having to recut areas due to these strips of uncut grass being left. I have boosted my hp from 19 to 25, I change out blades every 10 hours or so, and keep my deck clean, I use a mulch plate on most yards, but even with the plate removed, same result. What am I doing wrong, if anything? My buddy uses a 50" cub cadet residential he bought from home depot and gets a better looking cut. He paid $3000 for his, I have over $7500 invested in mine. I have flex forks installed also. But with or without the flex forks, the strips are left. I am cutting dry grass too usually.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The procedure to adjust the deck pitch and level is in the back of your parts manual, it starts on page 11-38
Here is a link to the parts manual > http://www.hustlerturf.com/images/pr...als/302612.pdf
Old 07-16-2010, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Off topic, but what did you do to boost HP?
'07 John Deere push mower
Husqvarna 124c trimmer
DR Trimmer

Never do anything that you don't enjoy doing, but if you have to, charge well for it.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Member

is there a fix for my deck leaving strips of uncut grass? deck seems to be adjust right... gator blades are sharp, deck cleaned, rpms good... i use a mulch plate, but deck is not fully baffled. i have heard this is a common problem with the mini z's.... yet to hear about one that has figured out how to make it cut good though.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clif View Post
is there a fix for my deck leaving strips of uncut grass? deck seems to be adjust right... gator blades are sharp, deck cleaned, rpms good... i use a mulch plate, but deck is not fully baffled. i have heard this is a common problem with the mini z's.... yet to hear about one that has figured out how to make it cut good though.
With the gator blades and no mulch baffles you are getting all kinds of air disturbance under that deck.
Try running the Fusion blades (sharpened almost to the center to help with the stragglers) and side discharging, it should cut good for you as long as the deck pitch and level are set right, along with the engine RPM's.
If your going to run a mulch kit you need to run it with all the baffles and I would run with the wavy mulching blades.

Pj
Old 07-19-2010, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason9696 View Post
Off topic, but what did you do to boost HP?
Swapped carburetor shafts with one for the 25hp kawasaki in the same series engine. The FH601v (19hp) with the FH721v (25hp). There is a big thread all about this:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=317558
Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerconsultant View Post
With the gator blades and no mulch baffles you are getting all kinds of air disturbance under that deck.
Try running the Fusion blades (sharpened almost to the center to help with the stragglers) and side discharging, it should cut good for you as long as the deck pitch and level are set right, along with the engine RPM's.
If your going to run a mulch kit you need to run it with all the baffles and I would run with the wavy mulching blades.

Pj
Thanks PJ, will try this; would you have the part number for my mower for these blades and the baffle set? All I have are gators now. My model number is 927236.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks PJ, will try this; would you have the part number for my mower for these blades and the baffle set? All I have are gators now. My model number is 927236.
Kit, 52" Mulch, FasTrak / Hustler Mini Z / Super Mini Z Part # 102640
(fits serial # 05050800 or after/ larger opening) includes mulch blades

This kit comes with the blades, but if you want to buy the wavy blades as spares they are Hustler part # 794198

Pj
Old 08-08-2010, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Changing to the wavy fusion blades did seem to help, the cut is better, not perfect, but noticeably better in all conditions, with my configuration of no baffles, mulch plate and side discharging. Have not used them enough yet to sharpen them to the center as suggested. I have read about pitching the deck down slightly to increase suction, would this be something worth trying also?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Changing to the wavy fusion blades did seem to help, the cut is better, not perfect, but noticeably better in all conditions, with my configuration of no baffles, mulch plate and side discharging. Have not used them enough yet to sharpen them to the center as suggested. I have read about pitching the deck down slightly to increase suction, would this be something worth trying also?
The deck should be pitched 1/4 lower in the front.

Pj