Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Bobcat B300

I'm looking at getting a Bobcat B300. Does anyone here have any experience with one? Pros, cons?

thanks,
Marlin
Old 07-14-2010, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Be very cautious of this purchase. Parts are becoming harder to get because it was discontinued a few years back. Bobcat bought Earthforce, who was previously making this machine. Good machine in theory, but this machine was plauged with problems.

You may luck up and get a good one. Just check it over very well and don't buy it if it has a lot of hours.

Troy
Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. Just what kind of problems are we talking about? The machine I'm looking at seems to be fine. Runs well. As far as parts are concerned, my understanding is that most of the B300 are common parts, such as the hydraulic pump, axles and certainly the kubota engine.

Thanks,
Marlin
Old 07-14-2010, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

send me a pm and i will explain
Old 07-14-2010, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

sent you a pm

thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

By a JCB or a Kubota model instead.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 07-15-2010, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a B300 with over 1000 hours on it and it has been trouble free. Still on the first set of tires as they last much longer not having to skid to steer. it is a much stronger machine than i expected and has been a great machine to start out with. parts have not been a problem so far and when bobcat stops selling them i don't see much problem with the internet available to search the original part makers.
the downside of the machine is it is heavier than a number of skid steers and doesn't run attachments that require constant hydraulic flow. it has the hydraulics for running a grapple and similar attachments but not for harley rake/ bushhog type. the other downside is lack of a cab with heat or a/c. also, be careful the first few times loading on a trailer as both ends move when you turn it.
JCB does make a very similar machine that may be worth looking at. Kubota has the M59 whiich does have the ability to run 3 point attachments with the backhoe removed. the kubota is a nice machine with and an aftermarket cab is available. the downside to this is by the time you add the cab to a new machine it's hard not to get a full sized machine for the same money.
overall i have been very happy with my B300 and will keep it till the wheels fall off. i have other machines as well now that compliment the B300 and together its a good package.
good luck,
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 07-15-2010, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a b300 and it was a strong machine but it was plague with mechnical issues as well as electrical.
However when the machine was working it was doing all that I expected it out of it.
Most of the issues we had with the machine were a result of the winter climate here and doing snow plowing with the machine being an open cab.

2006 Chev 2500hd Duramax
1991 Ford Superduty w 7.3
2009 Bobcat 337ex long Arm w/thuimb
2008 Bobcat A300
Cat IT28
Case 680h
int 4700 dump truck
Old 07-15-2010, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I looked long and hard at those machines and eventually I decided I couldn't afford the risk of a lot of downtime waiting for parts. I talked to a municipality here with one and they had had a crazy amount of downtime waiting for one off parts to come from Europe somewhere. Its too bad, because anyone who has run one says they are great, and it would have really fit my business well. I ended up buying a JCB Midi instead.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I ended up getting a Kubota L48. I believe I made the right decision. It had just under 500 hrs. 2006 model with backhoe and 24" bucket. Clean machine, pleased with the performance.

Thanks for all the feedback and insight.

Marlin