Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2010, 06:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Just Started (Update)

Started business shortly after Fathers's Day. Since that time I now have 4 regular 7-10 day accounts and just started another one yesterday. I also picked up a small landscape job. As a one guy operation also working full time, time management is crucial. I got 4 of the jobs just leaving cards and paying a call back visit. I guess the guys who were doing it were just very inconsistent in cutting (showing up). I have had to turn down 2 jobs so far both wanted to pay very little for major yards with lots of trim and weed work. I think for the rest of the year one more account would be good and I could handle that. Next year if business goes well might hire a part time help.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you have something else that is keeping you preoccupied, I'd recommend holding off on hiring help until you're at a point where starting to feel that you're working too hard, aka, need help.

For me, that feeling is 40-50 customers per week which could mean 40-50 weekly customers, 80-100 bi-weekly customers, or anything in between. I tend to feel comfortable doing about 10-11 lawns a day depending on the route that is scheduled for that day.

Only saying all of this because, for some reason, when I first started out, I hired help before I really needed it and it just became a nuisance. (which employees/help can tend to be anyhow )

Just try not to get to far ahead of yourself. The way I see it, 5 new customers a month might mean hiring help by the end of next season or the beginning of the season two years from now, depending on how many customers stay with you after the winter.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Member

40-50 sounds like that is you full time job.TOP does the mowing on the side so yes he probably does need a helper.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

GOOD FOR YOU, my firend. your already ahead of the game.

for now lets keep it solo. untill your swamped.

hireing a helper really opens up a NEW can of worms......

remember to start off slow. be able to handle all situwations that will be THROWNED yoru way.

Best of luck
Old 07-21-2010, 05:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I just got two new accounts yesterday! The help I am considering is a friend. He's having a tough time finding a job because of legal matters. I know he is a hard worker and has been a friend for a long time. Not ready yet but maybe one day.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louslawns View Post
The help I am considering is a friend. He's having a tough time finding a job because of legal matters. I know he is a hard worker and has been a friend for a long time.
That hasn't worked for me. Not for lack of trying, tho.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Mowhouston...what kind and size mower do you use?BTW I live in the Houston area too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by LariatRyder; 07-21-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ah. I misread the part where you are working. But yeah, try to do all you can until you can't take anymore, then assess whether or not you;re comfortable or want to take on more customers and help.

@LariatRyder, I use 21" mowers, although I've often thought about using 32" or 36" but never got to that point. I'm currently out of the serious lawn business for awhile. I left Houston for McAllen, Tx after Ike and I'm stuck down here taking care of a cancer sick mother in law. I'll be back in Houston and tearing it up within a year or so though. I've been putting away money for advertising revenue. I'm going to blow it up big when I get back
Old 07-21-2010, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

My ride

I have a 48in Husqvarna tractor. I think I made the right choice as I had considered Z but the terrain on my jobs is pretty rough. Not that they couldn't handle it but in the long run my lack of operating $$$ needs to expand before I consider a nice Z. For the time being no one is complaining with quality and that is what matters. Got my first "cancel" today. Said just wait till next week, grass is still too short. Still have two jobs lined up for tomorrow though so I'll take it. BTW I live in Delaware. I'm coming down your way to visit my Son in Galveston soon though.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowHouston View Post
Ah. I misread the part where you are working. But yeah, try to do all you can until you can't take anymore, then assess whether or not you;re comfortable or want to take on more customers and help.

@LariatRyder, I use 21" mowers, although I've often thought about using 32" or 36" but never got to that point. I'm currently out of the serious lawn business for awhile. I left Houston for McAllen, Tx after Ike and I'm stuck down here taking care of a cancer sick mother in law. I'll be back in Houston and tearing it up within a year or so though. I've been putting away money for advertising revenue. I'm going to blow it up big when I get back
I'm using a 21 inch as well. I work 60 he's a week at a machine shop and cut yards on the side. I plan on getting a WB this winter
Prob a 32 or 36 as well
Good job taking care of the family
Posted via Mobile Device