Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2009, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki Restart Help

Okay I'm a newbie here but since I've been reading I dumped my JD Z225 and bought a Toro ZMaster vintage 2005. Its got the 23 hp Kawi engine on it and I'm having a little difficulty so I figured I'd ask after a lot of searching.

The engine starts right up no problem and runs like a monster. The problem I have is that after it starts up and runs for some time it won't restart right away. Takes some playing with the throttle lever and 3 or 4 turns of the key to get it to turn back over. It does this whether I've had it running for an hour or 2 minutes.

I let it idle for about 30 seconds before I shut down. It smells rich and there is a touch of smoke when it does restart.

My first thoughts are the carb needs a cleaning. Sometimes it will fire right back up and other times it takes a little playing around with the throttle.

I changed both the plugs yesterday and its seems to start a little easier than it did when I picked it up.

Any thoughts??

Tomorrow she's getting a new fuel filter and hopefully air filters. The air filters are not too bad but I can get them through work.

Mower info:
2005 Toro Z Master Z450 (SN 25000....)
Model 74416
500 hours

Engine:
Kawasaki FH680V-AS21
Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess I'm the only one who has had this problem?

The dealer thought I was crazy.

Anyway, I have replaced the fuel and air filters and ran Seafoam through the air intake as well as through the fuel hose before the carb and still have the same thing.

I am getting fuel from the fuel pump and through the line to the carb. And put a spark tester on and I'm getting plenty of spark.

Funny thing is that when I put the spark tester on (after it was running and shut down) it starts after a little while. Just like it does when the wires are both connected.

So now I'm undecided if I order all the gaskets for the carb and pull it apart or do I start searching in the ignition side.

When I shoot a touch of starting fluid in the intake of the carb it fires right up.

Anyone???
Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

when trying to restart are you using choke?
Old 07-29-2009, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm not using the choke to restart.

If you go to start it 3 or 4 times and it doesn't start I have to hit the choke to get it to turn over.

When I do the spark test using a tool that has the two metal jumper poles on the inside I get spark when I'm starting it and then the spark amplifies about 20 time when it turns over and starts running. More of a solid and rapid back and forth spark which I'm assuming is normal.

I may try pouring a little bit of gas in the carb tonight to see if that does the trick.

I'm also going to see if maybe the battery is low and maybe not turning it fast enough??? But it starts so I don't think that is the issue, but I'll try.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I ran a 26 hp kaw. and every time i went to start it even when it was hot i had to choke it.
PUSH MOWERS LAWN BOY AND TORO PROLINE
All STILH
ENCORE 8HP PUSH BLOWER
VERMEER 630B STUMP GRINDER
Old 07-29-2009, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

That's what has me confused. If I go right now and try to start it after its been sitting overnight it will fire right up no problems. But if I shut it down right after I start it, it will not start. Sometimes the choke won't work either.

So the choke has me confused. Every single carb engine I've ever dealt with should need to be choked when cold then no choke after that. I learned my lesson the hard way with over choking a Honda CBR 600 and those plugs where $10 each and about an hour and a half of me trying to get in small places to replace them.

I just don't want to have to do the starter soon for $200.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeypole View Post
That's what has me confused. If I go right now and try to start it after its been sitting overnight it will fire right up no problems. But if I shut it down right after I start it, it will not start. Sometimes the choke won't work either.

So the choke has me confused. Every single carb engine I've ever dealt with should need to be choked when cold then no choke after that. I learned my lesson the hard way with over choking a Honda CBR 600 and those plugs where $10 each and about an hour and a half of me trying to get in small places to replace them.

I just don't want to have to do the starter soon for $200.
kawis NEED to be choked to start. If you spray starting fluid into it and it fires right up then thats telling me your not getting fuel and you NEED to choke. Also DONT use starting fluid! How many hours on the machine? Its very likely the problem could be a need for a valve adjustment. the difference after an adjustment is night and day. Starter will last about 500hrs. At least mine do.

I just saw your machine is an 05. I am willing to bet you need a valve adjustment!

SOLO OPERATION

Last edited by punt66; 07-29-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Valve adjustment, that sounds fun, LOL.

502 hours on this mower.

Just talked with one of the service guys here at work who does a lot of small engine repair on the side and he said that it could be my choke cable is too tight causing the carb to flood but not open the choke valve. Hence why it will start easy with no choke.

He also said I could be gummed up in the bottom of the bowl. So I'm gonna to check the tension on the cable tonight at the carb and losen it up a bit and see what happens.

Any idea on what a valve adjustment costs?

Sorry I'm a homeowner and on a budget and running out of cash real fast. Good thing I talked the guy down $300 on it.

Thanks for the help guys and I will keep you posted.

Joe
Old 07-29-2009, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeypole View Post
Valve adjustment, that sounds fun, LOL.

502 hours on this mower.

Just talked with one of the service guys here at work who does a lot of small engine repair on the side and he said that it could be my choke cable is too tight causing the carb to flood but not open the choke valve. Hence why it will start easy with no choke.

He also said I could be gummed up in the bottom of the bowl. So I'm gonna to check the tension on the cable tonight at the carb and losen it up a bit and see what happens.

Any idea on what a valve adjustment costs?

Sorry I'm a homeowner and on a budget and running out of cash real fast. Good thing I talked the guy down $300 on it.

Thanks for the help guys and I will keep you posted.

Joe
Valve adjustment is easy. I do it my self in 10 min with no parts. My motor was doing the same as yours. I adjusted the valves and it was like a new motor. At 500hrs you need a valve adjustment and a starter soon. My starter was turning the engine slow so i replaced it at the same time as the adjustment.

SOLO OPERATION

Last edited by punt66; 07-29-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To do the valve adjustment.

1. remove the 2 valve covers.
2. turn engine so the cylinder you are adjusting is at top dead center. Both valve rockers will be slack.
3. tighten the rockers untill you have the recomended lash. Use a feeler gauge to determan the lash. (lash is the space between the rocker and valve stem when the piston is at TDC. I dont remember what the manual said but its around .19. But make sure.
4. Repeat procedure on the other side making sure that piston is TDC.

It will be like a new engine. It fixed my restart problems. Cold start problems. Kawais NEED valve adjustments.

SOLO OPERATION