Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2010, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

bad property management companies

I have done work for Klein Group LLC and Coldwater Portfolio Partners (same company different names) They are a month behind payment and are located in a different state. When I called them to remind them they still owed their account manager said money was tight right now... ?? what the heck! How should I go about collecting money?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Small claims
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2010, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

a commercial account behind on their payments?!

And still not rich

Old 07-18-2010, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Go figure on behind. I do two properties and 40 to 50 days is really normal for them. Like it hel* no, but they are paying and I do extra's and add some to the fudge factor.

Done some work for a big railroad, 70 days and counting, probably won't do it again!
Old 07-18-2010, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajslands View Post
Small claims
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, small claims. Send 'em a letter via certified mail threatening litigation if payment is not issued within 10 days from the date of the letter. After they pay (hopefully), terminate services with them.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travski View Post
I have done work for Klein Group LLC and Coldwater Portfolio Partners (same company different names) They are a month behind payment and are located in a different state. When I called them to remind them they still owed their account manager said money was tight right now... ?? what the heck! How should I go about collecting money?

Most property management companies are 45 to 60 days anyway. Remember that once they get your bill they have bill the property owners or businesses and get their money before they will pay you. Let them know you wont be mowing anymore if you dont have a check in 7 days.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvdaPack36 View Post
Most property management companies are 45 to 60 days anyway. Remember that once they get your bill they have bill the property owners or businesses and get their money before they will pay you. Let them know you wont be mowing anymore if you dont have a check in 7 days.
Yep, that's the way to do it.. They know (or will find out) that if their grass does not get mowed they will more than likely get fined by the city, depending on the city's policy on grass length. The town where i live and work it's $60 just to put a stake in the ground saying your grass is too long, and then if you don't mow it in 5 days they come mow it and bill the property owner $85 an hour, adds up quick if they don't pay.

-Jordan
Old 07-18-2010, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys. I've been patient because I've heard 40-50 days isnt unusual for prop. mngmnt firm, but I believe I will call them tomorrow and be a little more persuasive that paying me within 7 days is in thei best interests. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

no! if your looking to keep them 3 months is a easy guess to get paid if you want a BIG customer than expect to wait for your money! i never have been paid timely by any BIG DOGS they know they owe! they wont pay till they know they can pay what realy counts and right about now no one can even get a loan for a truck or house from a bank so they pay who is in line first. im i n upstate ny so it is a bit rougher than most but i herd indiana is about as bad as it gets
Old 07-19-2010, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is true they pay late, I like working for the property management, they do not complain and once you get established with them they pay good for the work you do. BE PATIENT. Just this weekend we had a storm come through, trees limbs came down. Went and cleared up some limbs, 3 hours work equaled $300 dollars. Yes I will have to wait 45 to 60 days. This is part of the game.