Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2010, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark vs. Toro vs. Simplicity Zero Turns

I have been zero turn mower shopping for about 2 months now, and I cannot decide on what mower to buy. I am a home owner that will be mowing a somewhat bumpy 3 acres. I have been looking at 2010 models of the the following mowers, and I have test driven them, but I am having a hard time deciding. If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it. Especially if you have any solid negative information about any experience you have had with these machines. I am trying to stay under $8,000. I have been looking at a 61" cut Simplicity Citation with 28 HP Briggs and Stratton Vanguard Big Block engine, a Exmark Laser Z AS with a 60" Ultra Cut deck and 27 HP Kohler, and a 500 LCE Toro with 60 " cut and 27 HP Kohler engine.

The simplicity rides the smoothest because of the suspension. I could not tell much of a difference in the cut of any of them, but it was only a test drive. If I get the suspension seat on the Toro and Exmark, I would be looking at a total cost of about $800-$900 more on these than the Simplicity. Is there a reason I don't see a lot of commercial guys using simplicity? I thought it was the same as a Ferris. Maybe they are not nearly as durable as a Toro or Exmark. IF you have any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you're happy with the cut of the Simplicity and you like the dealer that you'll be getting it from; why not go with the Simplicity? If buying the Simplicity suits you in the above mentioned aspects and it handles your bumpy 3 acres smoother also...then why not go for it, especially if it costs nearly $1000 less than the toro or Exmark that you're looking at.

If you're going to keep this mower for alot of years and all that you mow is your property and amybe a little more, then you shouldn't worry about resale value, which the resale of the Simplicity might be less than the other two you mentioned, mostly because they aren't as well known across he country. even if the Simplicity isn't quite as heavy duty (not saying that it isn't) it is still plenty heavy duty for what you want it for. Just my opinion! Good luck!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. The main thing I am not sure about is if the Simplicity will hold up as long as the others. I have also heard some rumors about it not cutting as well as the others, but since I did not have much to mow when test driving it, it was hard to tell.

Any other research or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Old 07-19-2010, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where I'm from simplicity is a huge name, that's all there has been for like 40 years around here. I have a 20 year old simplicity snow blower and it starts first time every time, used every year.

Not sure if it's actually 20 years old, I got it from my grand father when he passed away but it's old and it works better than any of the new ones anyday.

I would buy a simplicity and never think twice.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I am going with the Ferris. Simplicity doesn't seem to have the name that they once had, although I realize the similarity in the models. If you are going with the Simplicity make sure it has the newly designed deck that the Ferris has, the ICD deck.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't have a Ferris dealer around. I am just looking at Simplicity, Toro, and Exmark. Any other thoughts anyone???? I need some solid info.

Thanks for any input!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I think you would be happy with any Toro, Simplicity, or Exmark. There is not a lot of difference between these mowers anymore. Pick your deck, check out the hp each model has for that deck at your price point and go from there. Simplicity is a good mower with the suspension if you are mowing rough ground.

Tags
exmark lazer z , simplicity zero turn , toro commercial zero turn , zero turn mower