Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-28-2002, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

f-550 flatbed...overkill?

Currently I have an f-250 with the 351? I'm not excately sure of the engine size it is not the 460. It does a decent job, the mileage isn't great and lately I have been doing quite a bit of commercial landscaping and will probably continue to run lawn maintenance and landscaping. I pull a 16 foot tandem axle (new since the flying trailer experiment).

Today I found a used f-550 flatbed with the powerstroke (I am wanting to go diesel). It has 66,000 miles on it and looks to be in good shape appearance wise.

My ?? you folks that have experience with larger trucks, what are your thoughts? Is this overkill to pull a lawn maintenance trailer? I see 1 ton duallies on the road that look bigger than this truck. Any red flags to watch out for?

Any ballpark figures as to what this truck would be worth I'm thinking it is probably a 99 or 2000, auto trans, flatbed has toolboxes on the bottom. Front tires are worn. powerstroke. extend cab. Real clean interior.

Being as its Sunday this is all the info I could get. I will call the dealer where it is at on monday and get more info. Just figured I'd pick the brains of 2000 or so folks before hand
Old 07-28-2002, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we have two f450s and a few f350s. I don't think it could ever be overkill. There seems to be a huge difference between the 350's and 450's. I can't say one bad thing about them both, but if I had the option I would get the 550's, built heavier and tougher, they are sweet trucks..
Old 07-28-2002, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the 550 is just like the 450 except for the rear springs.My freind reserched it and found that to be the case every thing is the same except for the springs just different codes.But if you cand get that 550 for a good deal go for it.nice heavy truck you can never have too much truck.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It is overkill unless you are hauling one heck of a load around all the time. However, if the price is right, go for it. You will however be beat nearly to death by the heavy duty suspension, as pulling a trailer does nothing to soften the ride. You may want to give serious consideration to removing some of the spring leaves to make the ride more tolerable.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys! I'l be checking into it more on monday. I really have been feeling the need to have a more powerful load tolerant truck. I would think this would do it!

I'll let you know how it works out.

Pat
Old 07-29-2002, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

F-550s are beauty trucks they pack the weight with ease we have had 9000 pounds on the one I was driving lots of power but I sure wouldn't use it as a daily driver. Actually with the DOT laws around here in B.C. Canada a F-550 would be pretty hard to use as a daily because its classed as a commercial truck and has to go over the scales and use the brake checks. The truck has to have a MVI (Certified) every year the DOT can pick on ya real hard because the truck is commercial. A guy can't park the truck on a residential street overnight its overweight if you do you will have a violation ticket on your window. Also you can't travel some of the streets because you are commercial and have to follow the truck routes.

I own a 88 F-Superduty now its gotta go through all the same bullcrap as the F-550 and I'am getting rid of the truck because of it. I really don't need the headaches the DOT can put a guy through so I'am going back to a F-350 cab and chassis truck with the same wheelbase. Ya I'am gonna loose the payload capacity but its worth it for me my truck does double duty (Daily driver/Work truck) and if I can't do my daily driver stuff with the truck whats the point in having it.

Back to the point the F-550 will work like h*** but don't expect it to be a good daily driver or ride like a caddy these are a medium duty truck.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Test drove it today. Really a nice truck. It is a 1999, four door with an 8 foot landscape flatbed. Has all new tires the original engine was replaced under warrantee and the new engine has 15,577 miles on it.

It drove real well. They are asking 28500.00 I have offered them 25,000.00

We'll see.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:45 PM

Even at $28K that shouldn't be a bad price. Currier if you take some of the springs out let me know ASAP. I am using my F250 like a F550 and it needs a little help in the springs area. If you pull some springs out, I would interested in buying them. I have no idea what they would be worth. Pulling a 4 car trailer is a little much for a F250. I need a F650 Super Crewzer, or some thing like that. The engine has plenty enough balls, but the load is way more than the truck should carry without more suspension.

Gravel Rat it sounds to me like Canada is a major PITA on some things.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't heard back from them for a couple of days. One of my motives is to avoid getting nailed at tax time while also increasing the capabilities of my business. I'll be checking with my accountant in the morning to see if this purchase would be a good move financially.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Member

You are right Brickman the DOT has some weird ideas that a 450 and 550 should be treated like you own a big truck where you have to do everything to the book. I would own a 550 if I could use it like a personal daily driver and not have to deal with all the ****. I drove a 550 before at a place I use to work at the truck was a dream I would have spec'ed the truck with a 6spd but otherwise there wasn't any problems with the truck I drove. We could put a good load on it and the truck would handle it and could stop it the braking power was great.

BTW The truck is a lumber delivery truck with a lumber deck on it with the rear roller and enough strap locations to strap any load down.

Like I meantioned before I own a F-Superduty its a great truck but its a pain to drive when I have to travel around the City of Vancouver B.C. I live and work in a rural area so I don't have to deal with scales and brake checks day to day but if I did it may drive me nuts. I'am going back to a F-350 just to keep the DOT off my back and plus the DOT really doesn't look at ya if you got a 350 and your posted GVW is 12,000lbs but if your gvw is 14,500 watch out.

Anyhow these rules are just as bad as what you guys south of the boarder have with trucks GVW over 26,000 pounds requiring a CDL. Up here a holder of a regular DL can drive a single axle truck with a GVW up to 35,000lbs but 99% of the time you need a air brake endorsement to drive a truck this heavy.