Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjermaine30 View Post
Then why don't more people do this starting out?
because it's a VERY POOR way to do things.

you will loose at least 50%, remember your in the Customer service Business.

Purchaseing accounts is NOT the way to do Business.

nothing wrong with reading. learn from the 80's what happened. and notice the shape the country is in today.

ever hear of a Company called nabisco ?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
because it's a VERY POOR way to do things.

you will loose at least 50%, remember your in the Customer service Business.

Purchaseing accounts is NOT the way to do Business.

nothing wrong with reading. learn from the 80's what happened. and notice the shape the country is in today.

ever hear of a Company called nabisco ?
I'm not completely disagreeing with you but how could it be a poor way of doing things if your just starting out and your trying to get established in the industry? I really could understand it being a poor way of doing things if it was the only way I would do it while I'm in the business, but it's only a strategic way to get a small customer base to begin.

What do you mean by losing 50%? Because I understand that I'm in customer service and my goal is to work and please the customer to the best of my ability but when people pass out flyers, door hangers etc and hardly get no return call back isn't't it true that they lose a good percentage also?

Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm only trying to get understanding.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I'm not completely disagreeing with you but how could it be a poor way of doing things if your just starting out and your trying to get established in the industry? I really could understand it being a poor way of doing things if it was the only way I would do it while I'm in the business, but it's only a strategic way to get a small customer base to begin.

What do you mean by losing 50%? Because I understand that I'm in customer service and my goal is to work and please the customer to the best of my ability but when people pass out flyers, door hangers etc and hardly get no return call back isn't't it true that they lose a good percentage also?

Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm only trying to get understanding.
any time YOUR in customer serivce. it's JUST THAT. they want YOU. NOT him.
it doesn't matter what type of JOB your doing. it's how the customer feels.
Look at it like this. somewhere " out there " is the WORLDS WORST DOCTOR.
and guess what, he's seeing patients tomorrow.
anytime. a restrunt changes there menu, they loose Customers. Even if the menu is HORRIABLE, NEVER CHANGE IT.

when a Custoemr is comfortable. Reguardless of the type of serivce there reciving. that's what there after.
in the lawnscaping business. Customers want NOTHING.
sound strange HU?

ok here it is.

a person comes home from work. they dont notice there lawn. BAM you have done your job.
a person comes home. the 1st thing they notice is there lawn. BAM, something's wrong.
any change of format. will loose arigh at 50%.
NOW if a Business is stail. they " then new owner " will have to work 50% harder and smarter, than the previous owner to regain confidence. and to gain NEW Customers.

YOU know of the Business in your town. the onew you will NEVER GO BACK TOO. the ones you will ONLY do Business with.
well Guess what. that Taco shack down the street. where you recived poor service. where they would NOT refund your money. and you Swore you would never return too...
They just been bought out, and now it's called JOES tacos.

ARE YOU GOING ?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
any time YOUR in customer serivce. it's JUST THAT. they want YOU. NOT him.
it doesn't matter what type of JOB your doing. it's how the customer feels.
Look at it like this. somewhere " out there " is the WORLDS WORST DOCTOR.
and guess what, he's seeing patients tomorrow.
anytime. a restrunt changes there menu, they loose Customers. Even if the menu is HORRIABLE, NEVER CHANGE IT.

when a Custoemr is comfortable. Reguardless of the type of serivce there reciving. that's what there after.
in the lawnscaping business. Customers want NOTHING.
sound strange HU?

ok here it is.

a person comes home from work. they dont notice there lawn. BAM you have done your job.
a person comes home. the 1st thing they notice is there lawn. BAM, something's wrong.
any change of format. will loose arigh at 50%.
NOW if a Business is stail. they " then new owner " will have to work 50% harder and smarter, than the previous owner to regain confidence. and to gain NEW Customers.

YOU know of the Business in your town. the onew you will NEVER GO BACK TOO. the ones you will ONLY do Business with.
well Guess what. that Taco shack down the street. where you recived poor service. where they would NOT refund your money. and you Swore you would never return too...
They just been bought out, and now it's called JOES tacos.

ARE YOU GOING ?

No I'm not going to joes and you've made a very good point and the lesson has been taken. Thanks for advising me but I have one more question. What if there is a contract involved with the buyout? There is no contract involved with joes taco, I just go as I please right? But if there is a contract involved with a service then it gives them time to bond with you especially if you are communicating with them over time. So I ask this question, is the percentage of losing 50% allot lower when you add contracts to the mix?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think buying 8 to 10 accounts really isnt worth it. If your going to buy them buy 25. How do you know they will stay with the new buyer. You can easyily get 8 to 10 new accounts with not spending to much in advertizing. Make sure you look at the guy books before you buy them so you dont get screwed!
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=Glenn Lawn Care;3649859]I think buying 8 to 10 accounts really isnt worth it. If your going to buy them buy 25. How do you know they will stay with the new buyer. You can easyily get 8 to 10 new accounts with not spending to much in advertizing. Make sure you look at the guy books before you buy them so you dont get screwed![/Q

How much do you think I can spend on advertising and get 8-10 customers because If I could I would?I know you have to take risk but I just don't want to spend allot of money on advertisement and get almost no call backs and waste money. I simply can't afford to fail. This is the reason I'm contemplating buying accounts. This is all new to me fellas and I really need guidance. I've been reading a few books but I really want to be successful and I think I'm a little too cautious right now.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=cjermaine30;3649962]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
I think buying 8 to 10 accounts really isnt worth it. If your going to buy them buy 25. How do you know they will stay with the new buyer. You can easyily get 8 to 10 new accounts with not spending to much in advertizing. Make sure you look at the guy books before you buy them so you dont get screwed![/Q

How much do you think I can spend on advertising and get 8-10 customers because If I could I would?I know you have to take risk but I just don't want to spend allot of money on advertisement and get almost no call backs and waste money. I simply can't afford to fail. This is the reason I'm contemplating buying accounts. This is all new to me fellas and I really need guidance. I've been reading a few books but I really want to be successful and I think I'm a little too cautious right now.
I have seen on craigslist, 9 accounts going to $4k. Thats what the guy made off them in a year. You can spend $250 on advertizing and come up with 10 accounts.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

NOT MY PRESIDENT!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=Glenn Lawn Care;3650019]
Quote:

I have seen on craigslist, 9 accounts going to $4k. Thats what the guy made off them in a year. You can spend $250 on advertizing and come up with 10 accounts.
Glenn

you and bohiaa seem very knowledgeable in the field and i humbly except you guys advice. Tell me this and it would be a great help. How many people do you think it make sense to target if your goal is 10 to start out? Also I've heard that going door to door talking to prospects are also effective and that is something i will do in a particular area. But again how many people would you target? I'm only targeting 10 because I have a full time job and I want to get good experience before I dive in.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=cjermaine30;3650069]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post

Glenn

you and bohiaa seem very knowledgeable in the field and i humbly except you guys advice. Tell me this and it would be a great help. How many people do you think it make sense to target if your goal is 10 to start out? Also I've heard that going door to door talking to prospects are also effective and that is something i will do in a particular area. But again how many people would you target? I'm only targeting 10 because I have a full time job and I want to get good experience before I dive in.
I would target 20 people if I were in your shoes. You will have a better chance to get ten then. I target 5000 houses and I usually end up getting some where between 18 to 23 a year. So just cuz you target 10 clients doesnt mean that you will get the first 10, you many end up talking to 25 prospects. good luck to ya!
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

NOT MY PRESIDENT!
Old 07-21-2010, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=Glenn Lawn Care;3650125]
Quote:

I would target 20 people if I were in your shoes. You will have a better chance to get ten then. I target 5000 houses and I usually end up getting some where between 18 to 23 a year. So just cuz you target 10 clients doesnt mean that you will get the first 10, you many end up talking to 25 prospects. good luck to ya!
In my last sentence I meant to say my goal is 10 accounts. I think I will target roughly below 5000 houses with postcards. What method of marketing do you use besides a referral program?