Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-26-2010, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnlandscape View Post
Very bold comment for a 22 year old with a part time lawn service that consists of an old unmarked truck, and no ZTR.
Bold indeed, wanna step onto one of my thick bermuda lawns with a mower in the early morning after a rain and tell me that?

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 07-26-2010, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
If you cut right, you won't get clumps.
And by cutting right I mean putting a catcher on, or the bagging system on a Z.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-26-2010, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Fair enough, but if it's wet or extra tall and I'm blowing clumps, I put a bag on. Then, magically, no clumps. Or I'll double cut and on the second cut, I'll put a bag on.

I urge you to talk to my customers, follow me around for a day, and notice the level of care I give to my clients.

I'm not perfect and my lack of experience prevents me from giving my customers the BEST service, but I try my hardest to provide them with the best I can do.

Better yet, let me on one of your lawn crews for a day or a week and then you can criticize me.
Nice pictures

God, Country, Corps
Encore 32"
Honda HRX
Echo Blower
Stihl BR420
Makita DCS6401
Echo Weedeater
Echo Edger
Echo Power Pruner PPT-260

"Can't lowball me, I know my value"
Old 07-26-2010, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Fair enough, but if it's wet or extra tall and I'm blowing clumps, I put a bag on. Then, magically, no clumps. Or I'll double cut and on the second cut, I'll put a bag on.

I urge you to talk to my customers, follow me around for a day, and notice the level of care I give to my clients.

I'm not perfect and my lack of experience prevents me from giving my customers the BEST service, but I try my hardest to provide them with the best I can do.

Better yet, let me on one of your lawn crews for a day or a week and then you can criticize me.
I'm not really criticizing you. Just ... correcting you.

My company runs all Grasshoppper ztr mowers. So its not really just 'putting on a bag', because the bags need to be put on, the blower moter, and the tube. It takes about 30 min to install onto the mower and about 30 more min to remove.

I also never said anything about your lack of care. I'm sure you are very good with your customers. But I am 99.9% sure you will not get me talking with your customers, or following you around for a day. lol
Old 07-26-2010, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnlandscape View Post
I'm not really criticizing you. Just ... correcting you.

My company runs all Grasshoppper ztr mowers. So its not really just 'putting on a bag', because the bags need to be put on, the blower moter, and the tube. It takes about 30 min to install onto the mower and about 30 more min to remove.

I also never said anything about your lack of care. I'm sure you are very good with your customers. But I am 99.9% sure you will not get me talking with your customers, or following you around for a day. lol
Sorry if I sounded defensive before, but I get antsy when I think somebody has underestimated me based on my age and experience or lack thereof.

Sorry I assumed you had a setup that's conducive to bagging. I shouldn't have just assumed that.

Rain for me means more work because it SUCKS bagging with a walk behind, but I still don't leave clumps.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-28-2010, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't mow in the rain. I am fortunate to have an 16ft enclosed trailer for my equipment. In Louisiana sometimes it rains for 5 minutes and sometimes for 5 days. If it starts to drizzle I just pull into the trailer and "wait" it out. If it rains too long, I go home. This week has been "old testament" rains, so no cutting. Luckily I have been in a HAZWOPER certification class so I can help with the Gulf clean up.

Dixie Chopper 2750HP
Bad Boy swivel wheel push mower
Stihl FS-55R trimmer
Echo PAS w/ trimmer, edger, & hedger
Echo 500BT blower
6.5' x 16' enclosed trailer
'06 Chevy Silverado single-cab, long bed
Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlipsyde74 View Post
I don't mow in the rain. I am fortunate to have an 16ft enclosed trailer for my equipment. In Louisiana sometimes it rains for 5 minutes and sometimes for 5 days. If it starts to drizzle I just pull into the trailer and "wait" it out. If it rains too long, I go home. This week has been "old testament" rains, so no cutting. Luckily I have been in a HAZWOPER certification class so I can help with the Gulf clean up.
I envy enclosed trailers for that very reason.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Mowing in the rain isn't a huge deal, once you get the hang of it you learn some tricks....

I worked for this one company for four seasons, being in the northeast we usually got heavy rains in the spring and had to cut inthe rain in order to keep up with the accounts.

If you feel your deck starting to clump, take your mower over to the edge of the property, near the woods or by your trailer, and tap your deck out a few times... if you have the time give it a quick scrape.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast Mower View Post
Mowing in the rain isn't a huge deal, once you get the hang of it you learn some tricks....

I worked for this one company for four seasons, being in the northeast we usually got heavy rains in the spring and had to cut inthe rain in order to keep up with the accounts.

If you feel your deck starting to clump, take your mower over to the edge of the property, near the woods or by your trailer, and tap your deck out a few times... if you have the time give it a quick scrape.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Ya, pick up your ztr and tap it out. Nice...
Old 08-05-2010, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
I don't. My wife's leaving because she thinks it's OK to bring bar people home when I'm at work. But I feel great now!
Ok..........Thats a little awkward.
www.cajuncleanin.com
Pressure washing Daphne ,Fairhope, Alabama.