Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2010, 04:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Help with skimmer

I'm doing a pond re-do and am leaving the skimmer in place, re-attaching the new liner....my question- the skimmer appears to be an Easy Pro Skimmer. It has two chambers with brushes. The left chamber houses the pump and the right chamber is where the skimmer opening is. In the left chamber, the flexible pvc enters the skimmer, but in the right chamber, there is another outlet. I haven't dug around the skimmer yet to see what that opening is for....does anyone know?
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2010, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't swear to it, but it is probably for attaching an overflow pipe. Call EasyPro and ask them. 1-800-448-3873.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the help...you are right about that being the overflow....one other question: do I need to perforate the liner before installing the skimmer screws, or will the screws pierce the liner without tearing it?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like this is your first Skimmer install. The first is always fun.
In answer to your question, it is easier if you puncture the liner at the screw locations with an awl and then insert the screws. To make all of this easier. Clamp the liner to the front of the Skimmer at the top making sure that there are NO wrinkles in this section of liner covering the front of the Skimmer. Insert the awl through one of the corner screw holes on the top of the Skimmer face plate. Line this up with the corresponding hole on the front of the Skimmer and punch a hole in the liner. While holding the face plate, remover the awl and insert the mounting screw. Do not fully tighten screw. Repeat this process with the adjacent hole on the top of the Face plate making sure that the liner is wrinkle free. Continue this procedure with the remaining screw holes. Once all the screws have been installed piercing the liner, unclamp the liner and carefully back out all of screws so that the face plate will be free, making sure that all the screws are still piercing the liner. Apply a generous bead of waterproof silicone caulk around perimeter of the weir opening. Reinstall Faceplate and tighten all of the screws (Do not over tighten).
With your razor knife, cut and remove liner covering the weir opening. YOU ARE DONE!! Wasn't that FUN.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you, sir

Not my first, but it has been quite a while. I've done a few ponds since my last skimmer install, but...well, I didn't use a skimmer on those (and those ponds have done well). Mostly, I've gotten away from ponds and the headaches they would occasionally give me, opting instead on doing work with stone (patios, firepits, walls, etc) that didn't have as many inherent variables . Thanks for the course on skimmer installation. It all started flooding back to me as I read your comments. You are a gentleman, sir!
Old 07-17-2010, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the kind words. It is those "inherent variables" that you speak of that not only got me hooked on Ponds, but set the hook very deep.