Register free!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I attached a 2" hoes to the outlet at the bottom of the bio-falls and let it run all night......not a drop of water has left the pond. I'm at a loss.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What WAS attached there before?
Old 07-26-2010, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

No it wasn't attached before. What I did was bypass the bio-falls and every level in between, and went directly back into the pond.

I'm still working on it........
Old 07-26-2010, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am more than a little confused at what you have done. The BioFalls was clearly on-line when the posted photo was taken. You evidently disconnected from the BioiFalls at some point after the photo was taken. Did you disconnect at the pump or at the Bulkhead fitting at the base of the BioFalls unit?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
A 4"/day water loss should definitely exhibit it's location. The ground should be saturated in the area of the leak. If you have eliminated the pond and the stream (with the gradual moving of the hose to higher elevations) and the liner is not leaking where it is attached to the waterfall weir, THEN the only place left is at the bulkhead fitting at the base of the BioFalls unit. Sometimes, if regular PVC cement is used to glue Flex PVC, a good, firm bond does not develop and the Flex will work itself loose enough to leak. This will happen even with the Flex buried. The back pressure from the water flow entering the Biofalls unit is enough to gradually ease the Flex out of the Bulkhead fitting.
What I did was because of this posting by you. To find out if it was leaking at the bulkhead fitting, I attached a hose to the inside of the bio-falls and had it go directly into the pond. If I was losing water at the fitting I figured this would let me know, and it showed that it was not leaking there.

After going over the liner edges with another set of eyes, I/he found a spot just at where the 2 liners overlap. The water was just dripping and it was dripping from the upper liner into the pond liner, so in fact was leaking under the pond. This is why there was no wetness evident.

I am now sitting and hoping it is okay......crossing all fingers etc.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Watch the folds in your overlap as well. The folds can act as a straw and suck water out of the overlaps or edges. If you can redo your overlaps so you have at least a 3-4 inch grade change and try to get it as vertical as possible so your streams flow doesn't go under you liner. I hope you have found your culprit. As Tadpole said you still might want to dig out and check your bulkhead for moisture wicking out. These bulkheads can crack very easily when beiing tightened/overtightened.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you may have found the culprit!!!

I am still not clear on what you did concerning the BioFalls, but it is moot if you have found the leak. As you said. keep your fingers crossed. I know, after reviewing this thread, my eyes are!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Member

It's 14 hours since I re-filled and the water level has gone down about 1/4".
Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking good!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Leaks

I know from experience that leaks can sometimes be devishly difficult to locate. You swear that liner is well above the water line but that little teeny fold is being very sneaky and allowing water to seep out.

Every once in a while we'll have a problem child that drives us nuts for a week or so and finally locate something so incredibly simply we wonder "How did we miss THAT?"
Well, if that is the worse that happens, I'm happy.