Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Trim in the ring or not?

There is an ongoing discussion here as to trim inside a tree ring or flower beds, or not. What do you think? If you're just doing a cut, trim and blow, would you want to trim inside a tree ring for errant weeds? I feel if the customer wanted us to weed ( for an extra charge) we would be glad to do it. Then, later when we see errant weeds inside the ring, no problem.
But if not, and now that the weeds are the predominate thing growing, should we trim or not?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
There is an ongoing discussion here as to trim inside a tree ring or flower beds, or not. What do you think? If you're just doing a cut, trim and blow, would you want to trim inside a tree ring for errant weeds? I feel if the customer wanted us to weed ( for an extra charge) we would be glad to do it. Then, later when we see errant weeds inside the ring, no problem.
But if not, and now that the weeds are the predominate thing growing, should we trim or not?
For no extra charge.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a very simple rule. We edge not trim the beds. Anything that is on the inside of that edging line is not on the lawn, therefore is considered a weed and falls under the bed maintenance portion of our contract. This is extra. No one has had a problem with this. People know when they are trying to take advantage, and believe me there are people out there that would let you trim their beds every week for free if you let them.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

same here, I edge the ring for stray grass but NEVER go inside the mulch ring that's extra. None of my clients have a problem with this.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I thank you and agree. The only exception I see here would be when there is no clear definition of lawn and cosmetic. Specifically, when the lawn grows right up to the tree. No ring, no stone, no mulch, no nothing. You just can't get the mower that close.. THAT I would trim. Anything intended to be seperate from the lawn and decorative, no.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unless it's a premium client and I weed beds every other week, or whatever, I don't weed or trim down weeds for free.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-20-2010, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I second that, I hate pulling weeds. I charge a premium for weed pulling too.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your general weeding maintenance charges?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that wants me to knock the tall grasses out of her pacasandra every week. We had almost a knock down drag out over this the 2nd week, along with some other issues. I said, "Anything above mowing/trimming was extra." The last guy didn't do it this way, etc. same old story. The biitch is she also has a very lucrative commercial contract that I want to keep badly, so I more or less kiss her arse and knock down the grass in the pacasandra weekly. I also pull weeds when I see them to the tune of about $50/hr and tack it on her commercial bill that only the accounts payable dept. sees. So I smile, nod, and charge her out the wazoo...
Old 07-20-2010, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I charge $15 to trim a normal sized yard, up to a half acre. More if there is a bunch of **** in the yard by the way of beds and trees and other bull.