Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2010, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
I have a customer that wants me to knock the tall grasses out of her pacasandra every week. We had almost a knock down drag out over this the 2nd week, along with some other issues. I said, "Anything above mowing/trimming was extra." The last guy didn't do it this way, etc. same old story. The biitch is she also has a very lucrative commercial contract that I want to keep badly, so I more or less kiss her arse and knock down the grass in the pacasandra weekly. I also pull weeds when I see them to the tune of about $50/hr and tack it on her commercial bill that only the accounts payable dept. sees. So I smile, nod, and charge her out the wazoo...
I absolutely HATE weeding. Would $50.00 an hour be reasonable after an initial substantial clean up/out?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

for pulling weeds? **** I charged 150$ to weed a half acre yard last week with beds all around the house and a big bed in the front and a big one the whole way across the back yard.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And was that the initial weeding for the season or was that part of your maintenance program?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh now I understand what you are saying, that was initial. I charge $20-50 a month to keep up on the beds depending on how many there are and how big, sometimes I charge more than that. Most of my clients are in the $20 range if they want it at all. The only people that usually want it live in the old folks community and their yards a small as **** and they usually keep their beds weed free anyway so I don't usually have to do anything.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How about doing your client and yourself a service by spraying a pre-emergent in tree rings and bed areas. One app will last at least 4 months if using Sureguard. If you have to hand pull due to plants being too close, that's another story. Hand pulling weeds from tree rings or non-full beds is a waste of time.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

but it's more $
Old 07-20-2010, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradseabridge View Post
oh now I understand what you are saying, that was initial. I charge $20-50 a month to keep up on the beds depending on how many there are and how big, sometimes I charge more than that. Most of my clients are in the $20 range if they want it at all. The only people that usually want it live in the old folks community and their yards a small as **** and they usually keep their beds weed free anyway so I don't usually have to do anything.
Yes, that's what I was saying and that sounds fair.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
How about doing your client and yourself a service by spraying a pre-emergent in tree rings and bed areas. One app will last at least 4 months if using Sureguard. If you have to hand pull due to plants being too close, that's another story. Hand pulling weeds from tree rings or non-full beds is a waste of time.

This certainly is an easier alternative, although costly. Most of our propertys are in the 10,000 sq ft range (in the FRONT) with 10-20 trees and multiple beds, INCLUDING the entire perimeter of the house.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How much is Suregaurd?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it is somewhat pricey up front for you and the customer, but if it only has to be applied 2x/year, you will be saving them a lot of $$ and have less weeding to do. Down here, weed control is part of the price, so the less I have to spray, the more $$ i am making.

I paid $135 for a lb. which will cover 96 1/gal. backpacks. The residual is great as well so the more it is applied, the less weeds over time. I have been using for about 2 months and have had waayyy less weed control to do.