Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-21-2010, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Fall cleanup with a 21?

Would it be possible to do a clean up with a 21? I mean I know it would take ten times longer but a lot of my yard couldn't handle a big machine with a bagger with them only being 80x100 lots with 3000 sqft homes. Mostly oaks and its next to impossible to blow the leaves even with my br600 and bt125 working together.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it'll put grass in the bag, it should put leaves in the bag.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

snapper 21 hi vac with gator blade is the only tool you need
Old 07-21-2010, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

if it were me, i would mulch the leaves first then put you bagger on. otherwise you would go about 2ft and have to empty the bag. not sure how leaves you are talking about. i do this with z's 1 mulch 1 bag. cut way down on debris size.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

The best mulching 21" is by far the Honda. I have never seen something mulch leaves so well, the dual blades really do work well.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been using a Snapper mulcher for cleanups and it does great. Rarely is bagging necessary. I also have Honda and eXmark commercial 21's and they're more expensive than Snapper but no better at cleanups.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can mulch everything up but I don't like the looks of it because there is a lot of leaves when the live oaks drop. Plus I would have to adjust the soil if I mulch.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i agree with mulching first then bagging. this is how i do all but the properties i have to use the 21 incher on. those few don't have to many trees or leaves i can mow them up with the bagger in a single pass.

i don't how the guys that strictly mulch the leaves get away with it. my clients wouldn't stand for the look it leaves. while the leaves are gone, you can still see all the mulched up pieces all over the lawn. my clients want there turf looking just as clean as it does in the spring and summer.

i throw the catcher on and just start mowing. let the bag fill up and keep going mulching up things. then make a second pass and i'm done.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Would it be possible to do a clean up with a 21? I mean I know it would take ten times longer but a lot of my yard couldn't handle a big machine with a bagger with them only being 80x100 lots with 3000 sqft homes. Mostly oaks and its next to impossible to blow the leaves even with my br600 and bt125 working together.
Yeah, I would mulch and then bag if I were you, maybe it's just my OLD Toro, but it picks up some of the leaves, but it doesn't remove them all, especially the smaller leaves. And the bag fills up pretty quick

Why don't the blowers work? Too many leaves, or are the lots too small? It might work to blow the bulk of the leaves to the curb and then either mulch or bag the rest.

How about a 36" with a bagger, would that be too big for the lots? If you have a lot of these small lots it might be worth the investment.
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Wright stander thats my 36 and I don't think it picks up the leaves very good to call it a clean up if you know what I mean. I used my br600 and my helper with the 150bt and it just doesn't do as good of a job as the old rake. The leaf size here is about 1 square inch max.