Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2010, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

FINALLY some one else has discovered the snapper hi vac for cleanups!
Old 07-22-2010, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-OS View Post
The best mulching 21" is by far the Honda. I have never seen something mulch leaves so well, the dual blades really do work well.

You're right about that.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

do even the 'vintage' snapper hi-vac's do well with leaves? Got one but never use..My LB's seem to suck up pretty good.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
snapper 21 hi vac with gator blade is the only tool you need

Do you mulch or bag? I bag with mine it bags a LOT better than my 48" WB. I get tiny leaves, twigs, and everything else sucked up in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
i don't how the guys that strictly mulch the leaves get away with it. my clients wouldn't stand for the look it leaves. while the leaves are gone, you can still see all the mulched up pieces all over the lawn. my clients want there turf looking just as clean as it does in the spring and summer.

i throw the catcher on and just start mowing. let the bag fill up and keep going mulching up things. then make a second pass and i'm done.
I agree, I can't leave mulched up leaves on my properties. Even if my clients don't say anything, I desire a nice clean look. I never tried letting the collector fill up first. I may try that this year. At a prior job, we used to discharge everything with the WB then suck up everything with the collector on the Z because it's so much easier collecting on a Z with a spindle collector than a freaking WB collector.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-22-2010, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Would one of those debris vacs, like one of the billy goat's, work for you? It seems to me that a debris vac would work better than a 21" mower....It'd have a bigger bag and would most likely shred the leaves better.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 07-22-2010, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

+1 on the Hi Vac. Mine is 27 yrs old and still works great. My 21" toro doesn't pick up that great either, not all bagging systems are created equally. Never tried the JS45 with a bag though. Here it's mostly silver and sugar maples, and a few red oaks.
18' flatbed w/7,000 lb winch
Misc handhelds
Husky chainsaws
Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post

Do you mulch or bag? I bag with mine it bags a LOT better than my 48" WB. I get tiny leaves, twigs, and everything else sucked up in.

I agree, I can't leave mulched up leaves on my properties. Even if my clients don't say anything, I desire a nice clean look. I never tried letting the collector fill up first. I may try that this year. At a prior job, we used to discharge everything with the WB then suck up everything with the collector on the Z because it's so much easier collecting on a Z with a spindle collector than a freaking WB collector.
i discovered it at the end of last season. we had an unusual fall last season that overwhelmed me and a buddy gave me the tip.

before the end of last season i was bagging everything in one pass, stopping way to much emptying the bagger as i'm sure all have experiences. then i purchased a trac vac for the 52" walkbehind i was using at the time and that helped speed things along. i sold that mower and modified the trac vac for my 36" mower.

mostly though i put the catcher on the 52" and just start mowing. let it fill up. it will mulch the leaves once the catcher is full but not so fine that the mower can't pick them up. on the second pass everything gets picked up sometimes without stopping to empty the bagger even once.

my buddy does this with his sit down 60" ztr with 3 bagger unit.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll definitely give that a try this year. Thanks for the advice. Seems a lot easier than emptying every pass live I've been doing. Maybe next year I can stop bagging with the walk behind and buy a Z with a bagger.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-22-2010, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
snapper 21 hi vac with gator blade is the only tool you need
Well said, when i first started, thats all i needed, we would tarp all the leaves then run mower over lawns to clean it up and man does the snapper hi vac clean it up. over 12 years now and i still load that baby onto my trailer once the leaves start falling. we do however have walkers now which really do a bang up job but the snapper fits in the gates for the smaller cookie cutters......have funn!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I can mulch everything up but I don't like the looks of it because there is a lot of leaves when the live oaks drop. Plus I would have to adjust the soil if I mulch.
Side discharge it to a bagging point. half of the leaves will disappear the other half will be reduced. When you say you have so many leaves you can't blow them with a br600 forget about bagging with a 21.