Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-22-2010, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

make sure you get the lowest loading angle you can. Ours is a Eager beaver 20xpt and i think its only like a 8 degree angle..

Oh and im 99% sure your going to have to pay FET tax on that too which is 12% plus your sales tax. I think that tax is on anything over 33,000gvw i belive. Unless your tax exempt.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateV View Post
make sure you get the lowest loading angle you can. Ours is a Eager beaver 20xpt and i think its only like a 8 degree angle..

Oh and im 99% sure your going to have to pay FET tax on that too which is 12% plus your sales tax. I think that tax is on anything over 33,000gvw i belive. Unless your tax exempt.
You are dead correct, Just got home from the trailer place.

For a 30' trailer(25' flat and a 5' dove) along with 6' ramps. was almost $15,000 with the FET Fees.

Some pics
25' tandem

one of the 30' tri

random trailer with some huge ass ramps

All in All I was very happy with the place and they seem to do a good business as they sold 3 trailers in the hour I was there.

Just have to seal the deal on a truck now

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 07-22-2010, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

They are nice looking trailers it is also nice to see twin landing legs.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Big ramps are for pavers. And if i was you id get a trailer in yellow so its easier to see in the mirrors. Plus black just gets too dirty and dusty looking fast.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chris, don't fool around, go with a triaxle heavy enough to carry your Volvo. Why buy a trailer that is JUST too small?

Something like this. This rig hauled a 320CL to do a basement excavation. Very nice setup.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im with Chris on this one. Id rather have it moved on a lowboy. Thats alot of weight a good bit off the ground on a tag trailer. Plus if they get a 120 size machine they can just take that if a "emergency" job comes up.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I have to agree with trailer color either yellow or white so you can see your wagon behind you when it is empty it also helps when your hitching up you can see your trailer

I wouldn't buy a tandem tag your just throwing money money away if you have to pay for a lowbed to move a 20 ton excavator.

Maybe you guys are not used to using a tag trailer but they are just as safe as a lowbed. Non of the contractors has had problems moving 20 ton excavators on triaxle tags. With our 10% grades and twisty roads there has never been a accident from a machine sliding off.

A contractor that has to pay for equipment moves with 20 ton excavators loose money on every job they have to eat the cost of lowbed fees. The contractors with tag trailers move their own equipment and they are not loosing money.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wouldnt he have to get permits to haul the 210? Thats a wide machine with those tracks.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateV View Post
Wouldnt he have to get permits to haul the 210? Thats a wide machine with those tracks.
Permits are still cheaper than paying the 250 dollars for each lowbed move. In todays market a excavation contractor has to keep everything in house you can't rely on other companies and contractors.

With Chris's machine having wide pads you would have to use a wide load sign on the front bumper of the truck which is no big deal and hang some orange flags off the side of the tracks other than he is good to go.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

at 250 a move let some one else deal with it. In my old company we had a jc tandem tag with a 3rd lift axle on it that we pulled behind a tri/a 2006 t800 dump. It was nice being able to haul a 200 size machine or even the jcb 160 and johndeere 450j at the same time, but for someone like chris who isnt moving the 200 daily let someone else deal with the headache. I can see them saving big money just by having a dump truck, not so much being able to float the volvo when needed.

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw