Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-22-2010, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ramps suck, my brother had a sweet Trailer King TK50 tri-axle with a 70/30 tilt and a flip down air powered apron, damn near 8 degree loading angle and no bump at the end of the apron, just an awesome trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 07-22-2010, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Ramps suck, my brother had a sweet Trailer King TK50 tri-axle with a 70/30 tilt and a flip down air powered apron, damn near 8 degree loading angle and no bump at the end of the apron, just an awesome trailer.
No ramps rule!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
No ramps rule!
Ramps suck, you have to lift them, good luck when the legs are jammed in the mud and you have to pull the truck forward, then you have a brain fart and just take off with a spark show everywhere.

That's how my Dad rolls.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Member

You can get power operated ramps like on a paving trailer but otherwise the mechanical ramps are a pain. For what Chris wants to do he needs a fixed deck trailer so he can carry his Takki and Yanmar at the same time.

Tilt decks are better if you are hauling single machines like a excavator just release the front latch before you get into the machine push the bucket on the tail of the trailer push the deck down walk onto the trailer with the excavator.

Rubber tired backhoes do get interesting when you load onto a tilt deck
Old 07-23-2010, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is it just me or does the pintle hitch look way undersized for a hitch that big LOL
Old 07-23-2010, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

jeez, how are those brooks trailers so light? i have a 20+5 deckover wth 16K capacity and it scaled at 5200lbs. thats with dual jacks, self cleaning dove and spring assisted ramps and lockable front toolbox.

that pintle does look a bit small, but im sure its a 3", my 2.5" is rated at about 40K.

i cant believe you guys are whining about the ramps. you either need to hit the gym or get spring assists. my 5' ramps can be lifted with one hand.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTouch Groundscapes View Post
jeez, how are those brooks trailers so light? i have a 20+5 deckover wth 16K capacity and it scaled at 5200lbs. thats with dual jacks, self cleaning dove and spring assisted ramps and lockable front toolbox.

that pintle does look a bit small, but im sure its a 3", my 2.5" is rated at about 40K.

i cant believe you guys are whining about the ramps. you either need to hit the gym or get spring assists. my 5' ramps can be lifted with one hand.
The 16k brooks brothers is light because it is only a 16' flat 5' dove. I know my 20+5 deckover is around 5200 as well.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
I don't know about the bigger kaufman's but I have a 14k skid trailer and I am not at all impressed with it. jmo though. I know this would not be close for you but there is a trailer mfg here in st. Louis that make a really nice one. Here is a link to there site. again I am not sure about the big ones but there deckovers 16k trailers are amazing.

http://www.brooksbrotherstrailers.co...lers/ow20k.php

Whay dont you like it? Im thinking about buying their 7Ton tilt
Old 07-24-2010, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get a 25 ton tag and be done with it. Once you get a little experience moving the smaller stuff around, you can man up and move the Volvo with it. We move 20 ton hoes upfitted with a bunch of heavy crap; digging bucket, 60" cleanup bucket, hyd. link thumbs, and wide pads on a triple axle Trailmax TRD-54 every day. Ramp trailers are just okay for moving hoes, tilt is definitely the preference for anything with tracks and I would recommend going that route regardless of the additional cost as they are much safer. Plus, the ramps on those Kauffman's look heavy as hell. I can't tell if they're spring loaded or not but I would hope that they are. Wood filled? What a waste. If you're putting anything on that trailer that can't walk over angle iron, something is wrong. haha

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 07-24-2010, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

my bad, prolly shoudve looked more closely at the size specs lol.

i totally agree with getting the lowest loading angle you can. i havent put a mini on my deckover yet, but im not looking forward to it. i drive my asv up forward, then spin it around on the deck to drive it off forward as well. i shoudlve gotten longer ramps to ease the angle, 6.5' maybe? i could always just get them to build a set and slide em on later.