Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2010, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Large Lawn Renovation Need Advice

So, a friend of the family asked me and two other buddies to "renovate" their lawn. The task consists of replanting new grass and leveling a few small areas that have some unevenness, nothing too bad. The entire area of lawn is 2-3 acres. We thought the best way to do this job, since they wanted ALL NEW GRASS, since it was alot of weeds, would be to kill the grass with some kind of round-up,using a sprayer pulled by a tractor/atv/etc, then rent a 5 ft comerical tiller for a 30-40hp tractor and till the entire lot, then compact the soil with a roller, then spread grass with a seeder pulled by a tractor/atc/etc then finally cover with a light coating of straw. Please tell me if this is a good plan for this kind of job or not. If you don't think this is a good idea, please tell me what you would do...but i don't have access to expensive hydro seeders and other equipment like that, just the general equipment mentioned. Thank you any advice will be appreciated.
John Deere 140 w/ many attachments
Other Mowers
Trimmers
Edger
Old 07-23-2010, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Member

By putting straw down you are asking for a weed invasion. Do they have a way to irrigate 2-3 acres daily to keep the seed bed moist?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No idea what zone you are in or what your soil is like, but why would you go through the expense of roundup if you are going to till anyways? Are your weeds that big a deal after a close mowing? Is it quackgrass?

Rolling before seeding and compacting the soil for the rootzone, is really a pet-peeve of mine. Mechanical compactors, do more damage to future turf than any other single factor. Once you are level and seeded, saturate your seedbed, to make the 'soil to seed contact'. Forget the straw if possible. It too causes more harm than good.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know where you live, not what type of turf you have in mind; so, wait until fall to do the work and you will not have to irrigate so much when the seed sprouts.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what smallaxe said.

also, you might consider renting a hydroseeder, or have a hydroseeding company come out and do it. they are pretty reasonable.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't do it is spring. Crabgrass will come back quicker than your good grass. Fiond the reason for the poor conditions before attempting to correct it. Otherwise it will happen again. Best to just feed and kill the weeds--taking advantage of rains whenever they happen. I am thinking it is not irrigated--if it was neglected they may neglect it again. sure fix the uneveness.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm located in South Central PA, as of now the ground is extremely dry, and the ground is hard. Our Spring and Fall on the other hand is just the opposite. I was thinking of tilling the land more towards late August, early September when the ground would hopefully moisten up a bit. but Smallaxe you say you do recommend to roll, or not? I agree with straw not helping keeping weeds out, but I'm not exactly sure what i should do to keep the seed intact and keep the moisture in so much, if i would have problems irrigating the lawn. For the hydroseeding, Would anyone know what the price of that, for 3 acres (just to compare what you all would charge to what is available in my area)
Other Mowers
Trimmers
Edger
Old 07-24-2010, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your best to plant mid Aug-mid Sept. if it were me I would spray it with a 3way weed control and try and save any of the grass that is desirable. have you thought about slit-seeding? you could rent a pull behind if you have a tractor or use a self-propelled walk behind. I have a LS seeder and it does an awesome job. would be much less work and a better finished product that tilling, rolling and over-seeding
Old 07-24-2010, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyturf View Post
Your best to plant mid Aug-mid Sept. if it were me I would spray it with a 3way weed control and try and save any of the grass that is desirable. have you thought about slit-seeding? you could rent a pull behind if you have a tractor or use a self-propelled walk behind. I have a LS seeder and it does an awesome job. would be much less work and a better finished product that tilling, rolling and over-seeding
No, actually I havn't considered slit-seeding, only because I am unfamiliar with that method, I did a few minutes of research, you are right about getting nicer job, but a the main thing would be, the house was built just a few years ago, and never obtained any real grass seed, as it was a pasture/ hay field before, and having a high percent weed, say if i had 75% weed in this lawn, would slit-seeding still be a good option?
Other Mowers
Trimmers
Edger
Old 07-25-2010, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
No idea what zone you are in or what your soil is like, but why would you go through the expense of roundup if you are going to till anyways? Are your weeds that big a deal after a close mowing? Is it quackgrass?
Anytime you are going from weeds to grass round-up MUST be applied. Spend the extra money and make 2 applications.

If you till the weeds over, you are doing nothing but mixing them into the soil and asking them to sprout.

I've never tried silt-seeding but I think it would be good for this application. I would suggest rolling the area before seeding to assure the area is level, then fill in low spots. Then roll it again to assure good seed to soil contact.

Tags
lawn , renovation , seeding , tilling